Fly Tying
flytire

November Flies from the Vise

Harold Ray here is the recipe for the Thunder Creek Chub Rugged Version...enjoy.

Hook: Mustad 79580 #4 (any #4 to #6 streamer hook works)

Thread: Flat waxed nylon white

Tail: Marabou white, tied short as shown hooks more fish

Silver Body: Scotch®Expressions Metallic Tape # C414-SIL (I like the Scotch because it is fast to apply however any silver mylar will work)

Body Armor: 8# mono wrapped over the silver body to make it rugged (tight wraps touching turns)

Belly: 4 strands of thin pearl flash and white bucktail reverse tied. (use bucktail near tip of tail)

Back: Groundhog tail reverse tied (I like the color and it's very durable) any durable hair can be used like the back of the bucktail.

Gill: Red thread

Eyes: 3/16 WTP Flat stick on eyes

Resin: UV

Tip: To keep hair separated attach a sticky note between the belly and back hairs.

Next attach red gill thread and reverse the hair with an empty pen housing.

Secure hair with red thread and attach the eyes.

Apply UV resin and distribute with a tooth-pick.

Rotate the fly until the resin is uniform, then hit it with the torch to finish.

I will finish a few flies and set them in sunlight to completely cure the UV resin for a tack free finish.

I got back to Waco about 4:00 pm and found my new electric eraser had arrived, so I decided I would try my first Kimo-inspired scud with ostrich peacock herl. This is one of those first trys that is down and dirty. Better ones will come. On this scud, the back is done with Sally Hansens Hard As Nails because I wanted to see how it turned out. In the future, I will be using Devcon 30-Minute Epoxy or Tuffleye dried with UV light.

The epoxy gives a great, long lasting finish that brings the colors of the stripped herl shafts to life; I can hardly wait to try that.

Basically, I just wanted to try this technique for the first time to see how it worked out, and then, I couldnt resist posting the result.

Ray

post-7246-0-21348100-1511579873_thumb.jpeg

post-7246-0-05940500-1511579892_thumb.jpeg

I got back to Waco about 4:00 pm and found my new electric eraser had arrived, so I decided I would try my first Kimo-inspired scud with ostrich peacock herl. This is one of those first trys that is down and dirty. Better ones will come. On this scud, the back is done with Sally Hansens Hard As Nails because I wanted to see how it turned out. In the future, I will be using Devcon 30-Minute Epoxy or Tuffleye dried with UV light.

The epoxy gives a great, long lasting finish that brings the colors of the stripped herl shafts to life; I can hardly wait to try that.

Basically, I just wanted to try this technique for the first time to see how it worked out, and then, I couldnt resist posting the result.

Ray

Nice Ray!

Kimo

Here are 3 of my poppers. I dont have a camera. I shot the images with my iPad and do the best I can. I would like better lighting, and camera, but just havent worked on that at this point. Maybe shortly.

post-7246-0-26244100-1511583329_thumb.jpeg

post-7246-0-38490900-1511583349_thumb.jpeg

post-7246-0-61703800-1511583367_thumb.jpeg

Here are 3 of my poppers. I dont have a camera. I shot the images with my iPad and do the best I can. I would like better lighting, and camera, but just havent worked on that at this point. Maybe shortly.

Nice job all around.

Those images are already at least as good or perhaps even better than what I get from my camera.

It is remarkable to me the quality of photo from multi-function gadgets these days.

Thanks, Ron!! I really enjoyed seeing and talking with you at Rendezvous. I have worked on my tool kit for stipling and will be using it shortly.

Ray

It's not a fly and not a vice, but after planning for a while I borrowed my Dad's design brain and, using a similar style I've seen on this forum, I finally have my tools and stuff organized. I really like how it turned out.

38647163831_df806cd319_z.jpg

It's not a fly and not a vice, but after planning for a while I borrowed my Dad's design brain and, using a similar style I've seen on this forum, I finally have my tools and stuff organized. I really like how it turned out.

38647163831_df806cd319_z.jpg

Very well done!

similar (i believe from member rockworm?)

6aa13a0bc165e320aa3aec14d4aca288--fly-ty

Yep, that's where I got the idea. I didn't have any measurements so we just laid out tools, threads, glues, etc to come up with the size I needed (18 inches wide).

toys

yours came out great.

its nice to see someone take the initiative of working out a problem without have to need plans/blueprints to make something