Fly Tying
flytire

November Flies from the Vise

Caddis pupa (Mcphail var.)

Chug, nice job. I tried my hand at those also, they fished quite well. Looks like you changed material for the antenna. For the latest ones I tied, I did also. I used moose mane, worked out to be a lot more durable. I agree, the antenna, although probably not necessary, visually makes the pattern. Instead of colored mono I used archery sight fiber optic (.10) for the eyes. UV light makes them glow!

GqMOPU8.jpg

@DonP

Yeah, I didn't have any bronze mallard so I used moose. I also just used regular tippet for eyes. They do light up with uv, I think it must be a reaction to being melt. Yours are looking good! It really is a pretty simple pattern considering the great look you get (thank you Davie Mcphail).

Chug, nice job. I tried my hand at those also, they fished quite well. Looks like you changed material for the antenna. For the latest ones I tied, I did also. I used moose mane, worked out to be a lot more durable. I agree, the antenna, although probably not necessary, visually makes the pattern. Instead of colored mono I used archery sight fiber optic (.10) for the eyes. UV light makes them glow!

GqMOPU8.jpg

What are you using for the body Don P? They look great.

Chug - Don P. - you guys tying on sz 12s in your examples?

BCT

Yes, I tie them on size 12 and 14 grub hooks.

What are you using for the body Don P? They look great.

Thanks. Body is yellow Uni-Yarn brushed out a bit with a toothbrush with the bristles cut to half the height. Thorax is brushed out peacock ice dub.

Can't take credit for the pattern, just following Mr. McPhails instruction. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRT0OryiLyQ

I'm a little hard of hearing (10+ years around a military flight line) and I have always had a problem with accents. But I don't have too much of a problem with Mcphail's. Any videos of his that I've watched has been enjoyable and understandable.

Talking to Davie takes time and patience. He called one Sunday and said, Ray, the biggest problem we will have is understanding each other. He was right. We both spoke English, but different versions as far as accent, pronunciation, and inflection. Im from deep in Texas and Davie live in Scotland; what chance did we have! :)

At the time, he was tying mainly Classic Salmons, and in one online conversation he had mentioned all the money he was spending on feathers and little return. He wanted more materials, but money was short, so I bought some flies from him. They made the trip from his home to mine in great shape and now hang on the wall in my tying room. Today, I dont think Davie has worries about where the next cape or spool of thread is coming from.

We talked for about an hour, and by the end, I was tired out just from intently listening and trying to understand. Now, I watch him on YouTube all of the time and still, at times, have trouble understanding. Obviously he can tie anything well and never misses a beat.

The accent and his diction takes some getting used to. But in reality my main issue is with the sound of the video, which drops too low at times.