Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Comments on first effort at polish woven

They are looking good, and I think you may have passed the point where this advice applies. For anyone who wants to learn how to do the shuttle weave my advice is do them in half dozens. There are really three stages to tying these - foundation (underbody, bead etc), weave, and finish (thorax, legs, hackles etc). If you tie up one fly, you learn things on the weave. Then you finish the fly, and prep the next one. That takes just long enough to forget what you learned on the weave. If you prep 6 to the point that they are ready to weave. You can weave all 6 one after another, taking only the time needed to secure the woven threads between them. This shortens the learning time drastically.

Cheers,

C.

With chenille or embroider floss I like knotted weaving better than the shuttle weave.

With the knotted weave if something breaks the fly stays together better for me.

With wire I do the shuttle weave.

My nickel on this subject.

Rick

@Rick

I tried to do a wire weave with no success... any tips? Here's the picture I was trying to imitate

(PS what's a knotted weave?)

post-60546-0-07800100-1510517966_thumb.jpg

Chugbug27,

Knotted weave http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/advanced/part4.php

As far as the wire being open, I find the same on mine, but like the look when I have a suitable base thread color. Black under a brown and tan for instance. It gives a depth to the fly. You can also wrap holographic tinsel under your wire.

With the wire weave there will be some space between the wires. I use colored tinsel as an under body

to cover the thread. There are several different knotted weaves.

For wire I do it from the side. Top color wire in the right hand and bottom color in the left hand.

Bring top color over hook shank. Then bottom color over the top color wire and under hook shank to other side.

Then take top color back over the hook shank, still in the right hand.

With left hand bring the bottom color of wire over the top color of wire, under the hook shank and pull up.

Repeat these steps.

Rick