Fly Tying
flytire

April Flies From The Vise

This is my 10 year old sons first popper from a kit . We did it together and he is very happy with it . I hope he catches plenty fish on it .

post-60201-0-35909600-1522718224_thumb.jpg

Gp do you find you need whiting to get that tidy hackle placement or can you get that kind of perfect lineup with other genetic hackle too?

And PShooter that's great with your kid. Truly

That's great PS!!! It so good to here a youngin with all the useless distraction in this world today becoming a bug maker/fly tier. Great popper and in the traditional style (except for the Stippledpops technique of tying in the legs rather than holes in the body).... Preformed bodies is Ok but shaping cork for a true personal bug is not too hard either. Old pic before I started to buy the preformed ones. I even bent/fashioned hooks from worm hooks. Sounds like a budding DIYer for sure....not many of those coming up either. I bet you're so proud! I m proud and don't even know youse guys...

big_bug.jpg

Chug,

I have never tied with anything less then whiting even when I began fly tying some 20 years ago I used the best stuff. But a little trick I use for nice clean wraps are to remove the barbs on one side of the hackle about two inches worth usually is enough unless I tie bigger. This works well and I can always get my wraps very tight to each other.

GP

One thing; do the counter-rib after you put the hackle on, that way you'll secure the hackle, and it will laster longer in the river!

That was the original plan, but I stopped because I felt that I was trapping to many hackle fibers. In hindsight I should have pressed on, working harder to free the trapped fibers. Thank you for the advise, I really appreciate it.

Use your dubbing needle to push the fibers out of the way as you counter-rib, that should get the most out of the way. But: if you catch a few fibers under the counter-rib: don't worry - you can always get them out with the dubbing needle after (or just leave a few under the rib, I do ;) )