Fly Tying

That spf (or sun protection factor) is a moving target as far as advertisers go - and you can achieve it by either some chemical goo applied to your skin (various sunscreen products) or by placing a barrier between your skin and the sun (clothing...). I've read (haven't confirmed...) that anything above a factor 30 isn't much help at all - unless you're the one selling the product...

Sunscreens for those of us that must wear them almost daily are a problem since your skin may not like them - at all... What I learned over time was that the ones that advertise as being "oil free" seem to be the least trouble. For about ten years now I've been paying a bit extra for sunscreens by Neutrogena (currently their Sport Face line) - and not an itch anywhere... Hope this helps (and for this kind of stuff I'd take my first advice from a dermatologist since they deal with it daily....).

As I understand it, the SPF is "hours". SPF of 15 ... if you spend 15 straight hours in the sun, you get 1 hour of exposure. Few people will ever spend 15 straight hours in full sunlight. However, some people can get a burn with just 30 minutes of exposure, so you only need 7 hours or so to get that much. AND that all depends on not sweating or swimming off the sunscreen.

An SPF of 30 is better than 15, because we usually DO thin out the protection with sweating or swimming.

An SPF of 50 is, as Bob said, extreme over protection. On a typical day in the sun, you'd get about 10 minutes of exposure. That's not even enough to get your daily dose of vitamin D.

As with most of my purchases, I am as cheap as they come. Dollar Tree sells SPF 30 ... buck a tube, and it works great for me.

I am a Florida native and I really believe that such shirts as you guys are talking about are promoted and sold by used-car-salespersons who learned to be a "shill" on various used car lots trying to earn enough money for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We are the most gullible nation of shoppers in the entire World!

I am a Florida native and I really believe that such shirts as you guys are talking about are promoted and sold by used-car-salespersons who learned to be a "shill" on various used car lots trying to earn enough money for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We are the most gullible nation of shoppers in the entire World!

👍

Do you want to stay cool?pay attention to what the people wear that work hard labor every day in 100° weather & 100% humidity

They dress like its freaking winter.

I used to work in the forging industry. I was on the engineering side of the business but was on the floor quite a bit.

These guys held billets of steel in tongs that ranged from 1500 to 2200 degrees F.

They wore flannel shirts. They needed the long sleeves to protect their arms from scale coming off the billets. But when the shirt got wet you had a cooling effect.

Some guys would bring 4 shirts with them to change out during the day.

Fun read and lots of information.

I prefer these $35 Columbia ones currently, similar style to McFly's:

https://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-terminal-tackle-long-sleeve-tee-FM6094.html?cgid=men-shirts-longsleeve&dwvar_FM6094_variationColor=900

Pros: Lightweight, wicks well, and fast drying. Price. Quality. Bright colors.

Cons: No fishing guy or hooks, though they do offer that in an upgraded model :D

Kidding aside, use what's comfortable for you. We all have different skin and react to materials and the sun, as well as other variables, in different ways. Also, things will perform the dfferently in different environments, say dry vs humid. The great thing about having so many options and ever evolving tech is that we get to try new things that might be better with the knowledge and fallback options of the past.

Without trying to sound racists I work with a lot of brown people(Latinos,Salvadorians and eastern Indians)

You know what they all have in common? none of them wear high end designer cooling shirts.

They wear a cotton T-shirt with a long serve cotton shirt and then a safety vest or a cotton hoodie with a safety vest

and a ridiculously large brimmed straw hat.

And it aint because theyre broke and cant afford $150 shirts...they make damn good money and work in 100 degree weather with 75%-100% humidity.

Maybe they know something us flyfishermen,Simms,Columbia & Under Armour dont know

Also they dont get burnt as bad as us. I have about the whitest skin you can get. I recently had melanoma as well..... To me, the SPF is the most important, more than the cooling. But, it helps when it is actually cooling. Believe me, there is a difference. Is it a luxury? yeah! Is it worth $150? I dont think so, not for my bank account! HAHA

Not trying to sell anything on here but I do sell some for my subscribers of my channel that are cooling. Seems to work well, and hey have a hood so it keeps the sun off you. I like them a lot. I sell them for $35.99. Personally I dont fish in anything else during the summer, really does help. Whatever brand you get, make sure they are spf rated. Mine are spf 55+, and many are similar. Like I said, the hood helps. I recently had melanoma, and when I put on a baseball hat, put the hood up, I never get burnt anymore, and it really does help make you feel cooler.

What gives the SPF rating? I ask because the stuff in sun lotion that makes the SPF causes me severe rash and with continued use blisters.

Thats a wonderful question, I really dont know. LOL I dont manufacture these. I have a company that made them for me with my logo.