Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ron1697

Material Recommendation

Update:

I just bought a pack of Umpqua U555's last night in size 16. They seem to be perfect for what I plan to tie (A variety of anchor flies for Euro nymphing)

Still have to decide on a tungsten bead size, recommendations?

flytire, I have seen those bead charts before and I know they recommend 2.3 or 2.6 mm tungsten beads. I was looking for a recommendations from anyone that ties Euro nymphs on a size 16 hook.

flytire, I have seen those bead charts before and I know they recommend 2.3 or 2.6 mm tungsten beads. I was looking for a recommendations from anyone that ties Euro nymphs on a size 16 hook.

Now I am confused, if a particular size bead fits a particular size hook (because of the size of the hook bend and the bead hole) why would it make any difference if the resulting fly is a nymph or a woolly? I don't tie many bead heads and see no real advantage to them ( they do look cool) but my understanding has been that certain beads were fitted to certain hooks by the relative sizes. am I mistaken or misinformed?

tjm, You are correct, but sometimes you can get away with a larger or smaller bead based on the hole diameters and hook gauge. For example, I make tungsten ice jigs with a size 12 hook and 4.6mm tungsten bead. According to the charts is does not line up, but for ice fishing I prefer the heavy weight.

Basically I am asking how heavy of a bead I should go for a good anchor nymph on a euro style setup utilizing a size 16 hook

" ... why would it make any difference if the resulting fly is a nymph or a woolly?"

Size bead = two things, in my opinion.

1) weight. Different sized beads can be used to add weight to a fly. Different flies need different weights to reach the same depths.

2) Looks. Shiny beads look cool ... bigger beads look shinier ... thus, bigger beads are cooler! Okay, maybe not cooler, but the look of the bead can be the trigger for the fish.

I don't like disproportionately large beads on my flies, though actually I prefer no bead to begin with, they haven't proven anything to me except for black tungsten ones have outperformed the regular shiny gold ones for me personally. I do way better with weighted shanks where I fish at least. But tungsten in the same size as plain gold will run deeper anyway. Don't over think it, next thing you know this season will be gone and you will be tying these for next season.

Use an up sized bead in real fast/deep water. Use the normal size otherwise.

Since I rarely use beads either ... and I never tie as small as the OP is asking.

So, in defense of his question ... perhaps you've hit it on the head. WHAT is considered "normal" size? If there's a normal size, then one can decide to "upsize" or "downsize" based on that.

I've decided to just go ahead and order a pack of 3.2mm tungsten beads in black nickel color. Experimentation is part of the fun! I am thinking they will work very well for my application