Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymanaj

In line popper

If you can you might also tie up another one with a single hook (to reduce the weight in the rear instead of using a treble hook)....

Many years ago Al Pflueger came up with something for when you needed a big popper offshore down here in south Florida. All he did is the same thing that was later used to make sailfish poppers (and is now the standard...). He turned down a cork head then through drilled it so that you could slide it up onto your bite tippet -then tie on the big fly of choice and simply slide the popper head down onto the streamer fly to make a single unit. On the water it worked quite well and you could easily change the size and diameter of the popper head, or make it out of closed cell foam to get different effects. It allowed the hook placement in relation to the popper head to be much more to the rear so the head never interfered with hooksets... I'll look in my masters box and see if I have a sample to photograph and post...

A single hook will likely be more effective (and safer).

You rarely see trebles on flies for three reasons:

1. Theyre a pain to tie flies on.

2. Theyre dangerous to have flying past your head.

3. The pressure you put on it to set the hook is divided up by the three points, which means you have to set it harder to ensure it takes.

Vicrider I will mostly be using these on a local reservoir (Green River) here in central kentucky. It has good numbers of big largemouth, some good size whites and its also a trophy musky lake. I also live near a creek that is some of the best smallmouth fishing in the state. Plenty of fish that can easily take this popper.

As far as the treble hooks, i actually like the added weight of the treble hook. It makes the popper stand a little more verticle in the water. Makes it pop pretty good. I've also found that the larger eye on the treble hook gives the tail more motion in the water. I do agree that they are a bit more of a pain to tie on but i like the results.

Very nice I've used treble hooks on a number of poppers and crease flies. The majority of mine don't have any material on the tail. It's not that difficult to tie in the materials. I do it when I refurbish older plugs and in-line spinners for myself and my friends who don't fly fish. So I'll probably go back and add some to those I've already tied. It will definitely add more action to the poppers. I also think you get better movement from the popper without the standard hook acting as a keel. Here's some pan fish size ones I "tied" up. They work well with the plain hook.

post-309-0-73243600-1534207994_thumb.jpg

I also like them when tying what we call, in fresh water, pencil poppers.

post-309-0-14939900-1534208123_thumb.jpg

flymanaj, did you use a split ring to attach the treble? Also, I highly recommend that you debarb the hooks before you fish them.

While they may not be the easiest hooks for some to tie on, I wonder if the great salmon fly tyers had/have trouble tying on treble hooks?

A miscast bead head fly to the back of the head doesn't feel that great and will even break a rod tip if it hits it just right. I know I've done it