Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on?

Nice work vicente

Thanks Mark, there's a thread "getting back into an old hobby" in the lodge it has a bunch of stuff I've done since I started back up.

The last couple of weeks have been crazy. A local electronics store went out of business and I was able to get their parts drawers for my fly tying materials. I went through this huge reorganization, (and still am). The place looked like a bomb went off and still looks like a partial clean-up attempt was made.

Here's the drawers that are almost organized how I want them.

DSCF3731-XL.jpg

DSCF3730-XL.jpg

Next I'm going to print nicer labels on the computer and fix it up real nice. I could be that I've gone waaaaay overboard on this, again.

In the mean time I've done some trading and gotten rid of quite a bit of excess stuff.

I finally got back to the vise last night and continued on with the nymphs from the Orvis index of fly patterns.

DSCF3728-XL.jpg

Here's a Mosquito Larva,

DSCF3721-XL.jpg

a Damsel,

DSCF3724-XL.jpg

and a Dragon.

I also tied a Brown Bomber but I tried to use my cauterizer to singe some fuzz away from the eye, it caught fire. It really doesn't look that bad for having burned, I think I'm going to fish it and call it the Crash and Burn Bomber. Picture of it next time with an unburned Bomber.

I'm starting to get the techniques down and I'm starting to work more on size and proportion.

What are you working on?

replacing 12 year old sun faded vinyl shutters. thank god theres only four on my house.

scraped off a few bees nests behind a couple of them. theyll be pissed off. their summer homes are gone

replacing grungy algae/moss covered porch wall lights

L13. Egg foo....oops cant talk about food

My wife and I are remodeling one of our bathrooms. It's amazing how simple projects evolve into a small monsters, "Well as long as it's apart we should....." My spring fishing time is being consumed before my eyes-

my shutters have been replaced. the new ones look so much better

now its time to test my electrical skills on replacing the porch lights without getting zapped.

yes yes shut the power off!

Some more nymphs from the Orvis book.

DSCF3737-XL.jpg

Brown Bomber

DSCF3739-XL.jpg

This is the one that caught fire when I was singing the fuzz from the eye. The Crash and Burn Brown Bomber.

DSCF3742-XL.jpg

Bread Crust

DSCF3745-XL.jpg

Golden Quill

now its time to test my electrical skills on replacing the porch lights without getting zapped.

I just do the light switch and tape it in the off position.

You've been lucky, then. The switch might only complete or break the circuit. It doesn't shut off power to BOTH wires going to the appliance/outlet/light/etc.

Touching the still hot wire and a ground can still knock you on your butt. Might not kill you, but it can.

The switch interrupts the hot there's only 1 hot on our 120v outlets, the neutral is basically just a sheathed ground that complements the circuit if it's hot there's something weird going on with your power, I have never had a neutral test hot, I volt meter everything once it's open.

Also if the hot is only partially interrupted the lights wouldn't turn all the way off or they would flicker when turned off.

Household electricity is not a DC system.

Three phase AC voltage applied to the house. Three phase system requires Wye or Delta wound coils working with magnets.

Example: 3 phase Wye wound coil.

Wye coil.jpg

It doesn't matter which of the three coils is "detached" for 120 Volt systems, you still need the complete circuit through the remaining two coils.

single phase.jpg

The GREEN wire is, basically, shielding to ground. The White and Black wires are the two wires carrying the AC current ... in both directions ... alternating 60 times a second. (60 Hertz)

The wall switch, usually, only opens ONE of those wires. So, the potential is there. If you have a hold on the live wire, and you touch the shielding to ground (Green wire or metals it's attached to) or another black wire in the box ... you CAN be hit with electrical pressure (Volts) and flow (Amps).

As I said ... you've been lucky.

Mike is correct. The light is not always fed from the switch. Often the hot wire is in the fixture box and a wire is run to the switch to open/close the circuit. If you only undo the 2 wires to the fixture you will probably be O.K. but if you start removing any marr type connectors the you should shut the breaker off which you should do anyway.

i never said i would put the switch to the off position

i said "yes yes shut the power off!"

why was it assumed i would just put the switch to off??

with a defibrilator implanted in my chest, playing with electricty is not an option!

i know how to shut the power off at the main electrical box in the house