Fly Tying
Bazzer69

CAEngineering Vise

Mogop, thanks , Im already tying with it and loving it. Of course it doesnt tye better flies. I was just talking to Mike Mercer who has designed many new patterns and guess what he uses? Yep, a old Regal with midge jaws. Really inexpensive compared to either the TRV or the CAE. I have some of his flies and they are beautifully tied. Its the guy behind the vise that makes the difference. Im not a great tyer, but I can catch fish! At the moment Im tying PTs and Killer Bugs replicating Frank Sawyers. I have some of his originals and I must say the vise certainly makes it easier with the fine pointed jaws.

Barry

@Barry - how do the jaws compare to Renzetti for flies in the #16-22 range? @ others re the TRV v.2, same question...

Chug, the TRV holds 16s really well. I've tied a lot with it in the 12-16 range and see no reason why it won't hold smaller sizes well. When I do some, I will chime in.

Chug, almost everything I tie is in the #10-20 range. I went from a Renzetti Traveler to the TRV. I can say the TRV worked well on #20's but I haven't tied smaller. The Traveler is a really great vise but I just happen to like HMH stuff and the LAW style jaws. A nice feature on both the TRV and CAE is that you can pivot the vise upward resulting in lots of open area at both ends of the hook (see photo). However you loose the true rotary function when you angle the vise but on really small flies room to work is probably more important?

It looks to me like the CAE would be better to tie the really small stuff due to the way the jaws taper. If you look close at Barry's photos not only do the jaws taper to a point but they also taper inward. The TRV has a little more meat at the tip.

post-63811-0-21915600-1546951265_thumb.jpg

Heres a photo of the jaws holding a size 18 grub hook. Its easy to see there would be no problem with a smaller hook. Im fact the jaws taper so much I bet you could tye on a 22-24

Barry

post-51579-0-79154100-1546972725_thumb.jpg

Heres some photos of CA engineering vise that I have just received from the UK. Ill post some opinions a little later after Ive tied a few on it. Its not a cheap vise but the quality shows you why. I paid about $700 including exorbitant postage from the UK. But my first impression is WOW!

Barry

More later, anybody want to buy a Renzetti Master?

Do you have contact information for purchasing the CAE vise?

Here is Charlie Evans email address, he is in the UK and a little slow in replying. If you dont have any luck with it, I have a phone number Ill dig out. Mine is his type two with a pedestal white base. Im certainly not disappointed with it.

[email protected]

Barry

To me, that would be the best reason not to order from this guy. If he can't answer you before you order how's he going to be after he's got your money, or if you have a problem? Customer service is key.

He is a older gentleman and does not use social media all that much. His is a simple one man operation, so if you want a customer service operation thats in India dont try to contact him, on the other hand if you want a product that extremely well made PM me and Ill give you his mobile telephone number. As a side note Ive contacted Lawrence Waldron in the UK and he takes for ever to reply. I would have bought a vise from him if he still made them. He did not ask for any money until a custom order of mine was ready for shipment.

Cheers

Barry

Just so you know, this is a old thread, I’ve tried to contact CAE via email and even telephone but I’m SOL so I can only assume he is no longer in business which is a pity because he had many great looking items. 
if anyone knows anything please let me know. 

My vise has had plenty of use but still looks brand new. I don’t see anything that’s not going to last a long time.

Cheers

Barry

13 hours ago, Bazzer69 said:

Just so you know, this is a old thread, I’ve tried to contact CAE via email and even telephone but I’m SOL so I can only assume he is no longer in business which is a pity because he had many great looking items. 
if anyone knows anything please let me know. 

My vise has had plenty of use but still looks brand new. I don’t see anything that’s not going to last a long time.

Cheers

Barry

Hi Barry, welcome back