Fly Tying
Jwismer

DIY Fly Tying Vise

For the record, I don't tie streamside and don't foresee a reason why I ever would. My tying travels consists of traveling from the basement to the kitchen and a monthly tying group.

Having tied on bench vises, vise grips, basic Thompson style vises, griffin vises, Regal vises and now hemostats I can honestly say I can tie flies on any of them with none being better, worse, quicker or slower then the other. Some are just better suited for different tasks.

On 4/14/2019 at 8:14 PM, Poopdeck said:

Being a hopeless tinkerer I just had to try it for myself. I got to say, they work great. I tested it with size 10 to 20 hooks and they hold rock solid. I think they will be perfect for midges. The only thing I did differently was bend the stem to allow my left hand a resting place. I also grinded a flat spot on the stem and cut in little recesses for the handle to sit in to prevent them from moving.

I'm keeping them and throwing the stem in my travel bag.

post-48414-0-38225600-1555287201_thumb.jpg

Hey bud, what exactly did you use for this base to clamp the hemostat? I been trying to find it everywhere, no cigar. Thanks!

What amazes me most about this post is that a member well over a year ago posted ONE post with ONE sentence and came up with a topic that kept the group busy for 5 pages. Now along comes another brand new member with ONE post and brings back the topic from the bowels of the long lost threads and fires it up with one. Welcome to the group Roman R and hope you stick around longer than the person who started this thread. 

Nick

@vicrider  IMHO, a great feature of this site: old threads get revived and newer threads go off on tangents, like sitting around a fire talking about fly fishing. 

9 hours ago, Roman R said:

Hey bud, what exactly did you use for this base to clamp the hemostat? I been trying to find it everywhere, no cigar. Thanks!

I found it laying around my shop waiting to be assembled. It's is simply a 8" piece of 3/8's round stock I bent, grinded a flat, filed recesses to accept the forcep handle, drilled and tapped a hole to accept a thumb screw. The top is a piece of 1/16" steel plate with a hole drilled in for the thumb screw to pass through and to clamp the forceps to the stem. It can be mounted in any vise base.

stem1.jpg

stem2.jpg

stem.jpg

13 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I found it laying around my shop waiting to be assembled. It's is simply a 8" piece of 3/8's round stock I bent, grinded a flat, filed recesses to accept the forcep handle, drilled and tapped a hole to accept a thumb screw.

I am always impressed by ingenuity (like that)!

On 8/28/2020 at 9:28 PM, Poopdeck said:

I found it laying around my shop waiting to be assembled. It's is simply a 8" piece of 3/8's round stock I bent, grinded a flat, filed recesses to accept the forcep handle, drilled and tapped a hole to accept a thumb screw. The top is a piece of 1/16" steel plate with a hole drilled in for the thumb screw to pass through and to clamp the forceps to the stem. It can be mounted in any vise base.

stem1.jpg

stem2.jpg

stem.jpg

Well thank you! It's great to see it up close! I'm going to try to do something similar with the old vise I found on ebay and if it doesnt work will make something similar. You can buy a ton of cheap vises for the price it will take to get the base and materials but thats no fun.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:19 PM, heavynets said:

Here is another one I made, with the help of a Peak vise.

post-37228-0-33506500-1556227093_thumb.jpeg

Do you still make vice jaws like the one above