Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Suitible fly rod weights?

I thought graphite was designed to break after a number of uses, I broke every one that I ever owned, usually in picking up a long line to recast or roll. The local shop said result of unknown/unnoticed impact likely, a couple of them were repaired, but I've gone back to fiberglass for most fishing. Did you ever break a 'glass rod in the same kind of fish battle? bamboo?

As I mentioned, I'm fishing older garage sale 9 and 10 wt. rods now and haven't broken them. I assumed it was only because they hadn't cost me a bunch of money.

One of the garage sale rods is an Ugly Stick 10 wt. It isn't much fun to fish, it has horrible action. It's probably a glass rod. The other is a Cabela's 9 wt. It's actually quite nice to fish. I caught a 25 pound ling cod on it last fall and it was a blast fighting him from 120 ft. down. That may be him in my avatar.

Both those rods are on the boat in Sitka. I'll have to check on the materials the next time I'm down there. Neither of those rods are as nice to fish as my more modern Sages, witch I assume are carbon fiber or graphite, whatever you want to call it. The nice thing about the Sages is, the lifetime warranty. They replace anything that breaks even if you aren't the original owner.

Ugly sticks are fiberglass, even the regular ones feel horrible imo, I wouldn't ever buy one unless it was a heavier rod strictly for bait fishing. I came an old daiwa fiberglass rod I use with a spinning real it's actually nice to fish I don't typically like fiberglass though.

I have never liked graphite rods at all. I was raised on fiberglass rods and the only rods I use now are either vintage fiberglass (I do have one brand new Redington Butter Stick fiberglass , however) or bamboo, vintage and recently made.

Joe

As I said, I'm spoiled by smaller fish, but even on my best 4-5# bass I have never broken a fiberglass rod by fishing and have had several carbon/graphite explosions. Funny thing after several years of using graphite and the going back to 'glass, I realized just how stiff and uncomfortable most carbon rods are. I am glad though that most others like them because it keeps 'glass prices lower.

I don't remember the last time I broke a rod. But I do remember finding evidence of prior damage ... the rod didn't just snap.

I've tried fiberglass fly rods. Don't like them.

Casting and spinning? I like both fiberglass and modern material rods.

Best way to break a rod is to grab it half way with your other hand to lift a fish. I've seen it several times.