Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Fly boxes

People have complained, on other threads, about those sealed fly boxes. You can't put a fly in there wet, since it can't dry out.

Perhaps you need to reread what you said. Clearly, people (me) are not reading what they want to see. I should throw some happy face imojis in here so everybody knows I'm not angry but men shouldn't use imojis so I won't.

I have both sealed and unsealed. I find the sealed ones heavier and bulkier then the unsealed. I hang my wet flies on a cork or I put them on a tray in the boat. I do this with flies and spin fishing lures. I've never put anything away wet.

Another advantage to sealed boxes is, while wading, if you slip and fall on your ass they don't fill up with water. Don't ask how I know this.

Les

Not to hijack Mark's thread, I have a Bugger Barn that I have placed a silicone slit strip on. Put wet flies on there to dry.

Darrell, where do you buy silicone slit strips?

Not to hijack Mark's thread, I have a Bugger Barn that I have placed a silicone slit strip on. Put wet flies on there to dry.

Darrell, where do you buy silicone slit strips?

See Darrell, now you went and hijacked my thread. smile.png I knew that was going to happen. But wait, where do you get slit silicone strips?

+1 on waterproof boxes when wading or fishing the salt....period. Deal with used/wet flies off the wool patch on wading vest and get the used salties rinsed off and dry to back in the boxes. Experience the best teacher. Laying everything out after tumping over wading dealing with all the matted up flies only takes once.... Plastic zip lock bags for lil midge boxes, cell phone, toilet paper, etc also. Like somebody said I pretty much hit the drink wade fishing or duck hunting....

I get the silicone strips from Feathercraft. Very handy. Thinking of replacing some in my Cliff's products, or just buy some meat locker fly boxes.