Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Michigan Trout Guy

Fly Pictures

Many digitals have a setting for extreme close ups...often the graphic used is a large tulip. Use the close up setting as well as the zoom. Finally if you have a choice of resolutions, select the best resolution available...this usually correlates with the setting that will let you store the least photos on your flash card. Also make sure the auto focus has a chance to detect the fly before you snap the shot.

Yes, make sure its at Highest possible resolution. also, look for Macro mode, or closeup, sometimes called either.

josh

Here`s the setup I use:

I have a Fujifilm Finpix F 410 Digital Camera. Pretty standard as you can tell.

I place in on a tripod in front of my desk. The lens should be level with your object to photograph.

For background I use dark colors. Blue and dark green seem to work well. Also make sure the surface of the background isn`t too smooth. The rougher your background the better it turns out. The reason for that in my opinion is that most cameras use five spots in the finder to focus. If you have a rough background, the camera has something to focuse on and you get good shots. That`s only the case if your fly is close to the background of course. If the background is further away, focus of your background is not a subject.

Leaving the background out of focus can also have a good sideeffect. In pictures with out of focus background the part of the pic in focus seems (in your case the fly) seems to stand out more. Try it.

I turn on two desk lamps that are slightly tilted behind (!) the lens to light the fly. Have used one, which worked fine as well. Depends on the time of day you shoot the pics and the strength of your light.

The camera is set on Macro. Most of the time I do not use any flash, it is turned off.

If using the macro setting you still get fuzzy pictures you`re too close to the fly. Back the camera up some and zoom back in to fill our the finder with your "model".

I have figured out that using the tripod is one of the most important things. Otherwise you have to use a flash which most of the time messes up your shot at close range.

Hope I could help.

Andy

I just bought a Nikon CoolPix 3100 I got at Wal-Mart for almost $100 off listed price. I know Nikon's are good cameras but does anyone here have this camera and if you do, what can you tell me? help.gif

Mike

alot of camara's are unable to focus that close to the fly, you have 2 choices move the camara back and use the digital zoom or get a better lens or camara.

HI there Mad dog, I don't have the exact camera you have mine is a Nikon cool pix 995 it's a 3.3 mega-pixel camera with a rotating lens . I really love the thing and I have managed to take some great pics of my fly's. I do have to use the macro mode to get acceptable results however. I don't know if your's is the same but mine has a button with three symbols on it. A mountain range, a tulip, and a clock. the tulip setting is what you want here. I have a bright desk lamp on my tying desk and usually I just use it but sometimes I use the flash on the camera. I found that if I rest my elbows on the desk and carefully depress the shutter release I can take good pic's. Good Luck, Eric.

Heres some info that I found useful in learning to take digital photos of flies. This is something that was passed on to me from this site.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2984&hl=

and

http://homepage.mac.com/riverwader/tying/Personal24.html

Hope this is some help. I know it has been helping me a great deal.

Nicholas