Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

quarantine project: tip up for ice fishing

I am going to be make a tip up for ice fishing soon. Any tips?

I think it should probably tip up, ya know, if you got a fish on.

39 minutes ago, TIER said:

I am going to be make a tip up for ice fishing soon. Any tips?

All stupidity aside, why not make it elaborate? You could maybe have several flags, each one having a different amount of "pull" to trip. That way, if you've got a spread out, and two fish hit, the bigger fish- more flags up- gets your attention first. Or put a couple bells in the path of the arm- harder the fish pulls, the more dings you get.

If that wouldn't work, oh well. I don't ice fish.

OHOHO!!!! What about, you make one on the principle of a trebuchet? Counterweight it with a bucket of rocks or something and make a latch setup, which will release the counterweight and send your fish flying towards you. You can attach a bell, so you know when the fish is coming- hold up a big bucket and try to catch the fish!!!!

Don't you keep all of the fish, ice fishing? So it wouldn't really negatively "impact" the fish's life after that.

A great project! Only tip I have is to take your time and do every step perfectly. 

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

Isn't ice fishing season over, there?

Yes, but i want to make one anyway

Understood.  Just realize that your first one is a prototype.  Don't worry about it "looking" pretty, or even being durable.  Verify function, and modify as needed to get what you want.  THEN put the effort into fully functional, durable and (if desired) good looking.

If I am working a DIY project such a this, I generally look at existing commercial products, look for features I like (good) or do not (bad) like.  Build and a adapt based good features and try to avoid bad.

There is a plethora of commercial ice tip ups for sale online and at least two videos on DIY builds.

When you see what is out there you will begin to see how you can adapt something to fit with the resources available to you.  

Good luck and keep us in the loop.  The first thing you may find is that you may have to improvise some way to emulate a hole in the ice and a fish pulling on the rig....

But the One thing to always remember on these is to have FUN.  You will learn new and more STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) principles applying things your teachers want you to know.  Teachers can be a good resource, too

Now get that school work done!

14 hours ago, mikechell said:

Hi Mike, Yes, it is over, but we had flurries last night in Central, PA, and we're supposed to get more tonight or tomorrow. Early on Saturday morning the temps here are dropping to 26. We haven't had spring yet. Oh, to be in FL.

18 hours ago, mikechell said:

Nope, not yet. See my Birthday pike from this week end. Some one just caught a 29 3/4 inch and a 30 1/2 inch rainbow in Tiers back yard, at Quartz lake. Still 24 inches of ice there.

23 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Oh ... I am SOOOO glad I don't live up there.  no offense intended.

No offense taken. That's why there are so man good fishing opportunities up here. Because the harsh conditions keep the..... um..... "riff raff" out.

Right now is actually the best time of the year to ice fish. The new water ( and oxygen) running into the lakes from spring run off rejuvenates the fish and makes them hungry. Also many species are staging for spawning, it's an exciting time.

42 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

The new water ( and oxygen) running into the lakes from spring run off rejuvenates the fish and makes them hungry. Also many species are staging for spawning, it's an exciting time.

question, does that mean egg patterns would work for grayling right now?