Fly Tying

Brushy Creek is a small river up north of Austin Texas, that travels through Round Rock. I didn't get to fish the entire stretch, but what I fished looked really pretty and nice. The day I fished was slow from what I was told, I did see some locals fishing and asked how they were doing. All of which said it was the slowest day they had seen in a while. Of course as soon as I go out right? Anyway, its a pretty little stream that holds Guadalupe and smallmouth bass, sunfish, carp and rio cichlids. I believe there are some other species as well.

I had a great time, even though it wasn't as productive as I wanted. I got to test out a foam hopper I'm working on, and a small crayfish fly im working on as well. Both of which caught fish. I caught some panfish which I think one was a redbreast sunfish but I could be wrong. I did catch a little bass, and Im not sure if it was a Guadalupe or a smallmouth, Im still learning how to identify them. I am new to fishing in Texas, and so I could always use your guys help identifying the fish I catch. Also please help me with figuring out how to catch Rio's. Im not sure the technique. Honestly it looked like they were spawning to me, chasing others off their little nests at least it looked like. Not sure if that's a bad time to fish for them or not.

I also saw a snake, and while it could be the non verminous water snake that is common in the area, I am quite sure it was actually a cottonmouth (or commonly called water moccasin). It ducked under a rock before I could get my camera positioned on him so I could not get any video, and I didn't want to go poking around the rock and get bit. I almost stepped on him, I need to remember to be more careful and look where im walking each time I go out.

Good video, but you need to get out in that water.  Wade it like a trout stream and cast to every patch of water over deep holes (a few inches deeper than surrounding), behind and in front of rocks, everywhere.  The bigger fish are there, and in most cases, feeding exactly as you'd expect a trout to.  Waiting for things to drift into its strike zone.  I fast forwarded past your soliloquies, so perhaps you weren't prepared to wade.

I can't help with the fish ID's because you didn't hold any of the fish up to the camera for a good view.  Even the bass was held too far away to see enough detail.  Although, at that size and in those waters the colors are very pale making identification more difficult.  Try this site:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_lf_k0700_0692a.pdf

I truly doubt the gar was an Alligator Gar.  According to the Texas Parks&Wildlife people, they don't range that far.  It's only speculative that they are even up TO Austin, let alone North of there.  Also, Alligator Gar aren't known for surface activity.  More likely, they are common Longnosed Gar.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/alligator-gar/texas-range.phtml

As with the gar, it's more likely the snake was one of several species of water snake.  Moccasins do live in your area, but are very rarely seen as it is the western edge of their range.

https://www.herpsoftexas.org/content/cottonmouth

A Water Moccasin, in my experience, is a stand  it's ground type snake. If it retreated, with no show of aggression, It was most likely a Banded water snake.

Mike is right. I didnt get enough view of the actual fish,other than to say it was a Sunfish and or a Bass.

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

Good video, but you need to get out in that water.  Wade it like a trout stream and cast to every patch of water over deep holes (a few inches deeper than surrounding), behind and in front of rocks, everywhere.  The bigger fish are there, and in most cases, feeding exactly as you'd expect a trout to.  Waiting for things to drift into its strike zone.  I fast forwarded past your soliloquies, so perhaps you weren't prepared to wade.

I can't help with the fish ID's because you didn't hold any of the fish up to the camera for a good view.  Even the bass was held too far away to see enough detail.  Although, at that size and in those waters the colors are very pale making identification more difficult.  Try this site:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_lf_k0700_0692a.pdf

I truly doubt the gar was an Alligator Gar.  According to the Texas Parks&Wildlife people, they don't range that far.  It's only speculative that they are even up TO Austin, let alone North of there.  Also, Alligator Gar aren't known for surface activity.  More likely, they are common Longnosed Gar.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/alligator-gar/texas-range.phtml

As with the gar, it's more likely the snake was one of several species of water snake.  Moccasins do live in your area, but are very rarely seen as it is the western edge of their range.

https://www.herpsoftexas.org/content/cottonmouth

I did get in the water for the majority of the time.  
Just in the beginning it didn’t. 

sorry this camera is super wide angle.  I had the fish 3” from the camera.  Haha!    

longnose gar, could be it.  Thanks!  

Yeah it could have been just a water snake.  But the head was short and stubby.  So I don’t know.  

A Moccasins head, especially a large one looks like a flat iron. If you've ever seen one, they not easily mistaken 😳

Also, a venomous snake has slit for eyes as opposed to rounded pupils

1 hour ago, The Mad Duck said:

A Moccasins head, especially a large one looks like a flat iron. If you've ever seen one, they not easily mistaken 😳

Also, a venomous snake has slit for eyes as opposed to rounded pupils

Yeah the head was similar, triangular, I really don’t know which it was. It was small though, maybe 2’ long.   I didn’t stop to stare at it’s eyes.  I jumped back quick when I saw it.  Lol!  

1 hour ago, Steeldrifter said:

Looks like a nice little river Shawn, couple of those spots/runs look really fishy.

They do!   So I talked to people around the river fishing asking how they did.  Almost all said it was slower than they are used to.  So I don’t feel as bad for not catching more.  Haha!  

I've fished that little stream for 50 years. It's prettier and cleaner now than I've ever seen it. Living waters is a treasure too. That stream has good fishing from Cedar Park to nearly Hutto. Enjoy it.

24 minutes ago, Jacks Grampa said:

I've fished that little stream for 50 years. It's prettier and cleaner now than I've ever seen it. Living waters is a treasure too. That stream has good fishing from Cedar Park to nearly Hutto. Enjoy it.

will do thanks Jacks!  Yeah it seemed pretty for sure.

No boat, I live in a small apartment right now, so not even the ability to have a kayak.  I will have to check out San Gabriel.  I hear good things.  

I wish I knew that creek was there when I went down to Austin, for my niece's wedding.  The weather was iffy and cool, plus I flew down.   As far as the fish go, based on the quick views.  Two of the sunfish looked like bluegills, not sure about the other one.  The bass was a largemouth.   Can't help you with the gar.

40 minutes ago, Philly said:

I wish I knew that creek was there when I went down to Austin, for my niece's wedding.  The weather was iffy and cool, plus I flew down.   As far as the fish go, based on the quick views.  Two of the sunfish looked like bluegills, not sure about the other one.  The bass was a largemouth.   Can't help you with the gar.

Thanks!  Yeah it’s not a bad little creek.  In fact it was an off day and I don’t think I gave it the best representation of quality of fish.  Haha!  I’ve seen some really nice fish come out of there from pics. 

Bull creek fishes well upstream from 360 along Spicewood Springs road. And from the trail head at the base of Scotland Wells about a 1/4 upstream is a spillway that holds some 5lbs. bass but they're real bashful.