Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Espo66

Fly ID - The real ones!

So, I went out this weekend to my local stream. Fell right on my tailbone, caught a tree or two, and a few submerged twigs. Good news is I'm starting to get better at roll casting and having fun getting to know the stream and environment. Best news of all, I caught a couple of bugs!

This guys looked just like a Mayfly imitation, like an adams or light cahill...couldn't believe it. He was small as hell, and I may have messed him up a bit trying to get a picture

Mayfly.thumb.jpg.c56f60cd721e34a77b9304e207a14f0f.jpg

This one flew right on to my leg where I swooped him up. Don't know what he is?? Could this be the Sulfur hatch I have read about in FFLD county CT?

Sulfur1.thumb.jpg.fa6e07539130a64cfe2dd602c503fc19.jpg

Sulfur2.thumb.jpg.25a515dac7a1cd3dffb15605025792f9.jpg

This big guy was hanging out near the edge of the stream, maybe he isn't even aquatic?

Big_1.thumb.jpg.2e561f6f733b8b22f950bd7b92bb01c8.jpg

Big_2.thumb.jpg.ec139121512e04f840cdcff3a017fd4d.jpg

Thanks to all for all the tremendous help the users on this site provide, you've all been amazing.

Larry

No 2 and 3 look likes yellow sally stoneflies as the wings lay flat on its back

no 1 too blurry to tell what it is

no 4 ?

no 5 dark stonefly?

37 minutes ago, flytire said:

No 2 and 3 look likes yellow sally stoneflies as the wings lay flat on its back

no 1 too blurry to tell what it is

no 4 ?

no 5 dark stonefly?

Yes, yellow sally I'm pretty sure of it. # 1 was some a sort of Mayfly, looked amazingly like some of the flys in my dads collection. #4 and 5 were the same bug, He was/is huge.

37 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Are you preserving those bugs in alcohol?  Nice start to a collection.

I am. Maybe I missed my calling as an etymologist. LOL.

I had a bottle of alcohol, but nye impossible to find it in the stores now!

Distilleries are making alcohol to be used as a hand sanitizer. Ollie's Bargain Outlet has quarts- more expensive than cheap booze. I buy DNA and acetone by the gallon for woodworking, cleaning reels, etc.

I'm pretty sure "wood" alcohol (Methanol) or isopropyl is better for preservation purposes.  I suppose Ethanol might work, just never heard of anyone using it.

With a good camera that can take macro images, there is no need to collect and preserve the bugs at all.  Just take a good clear close up image or two.  If you have a small ruler, take measurements of the length of your finds,  Words like "huge" really don't help much in identifying things.  Take measurement, photos, and make notes as to where and when you find these samples.  Notes on water temperature and type would also help in identification.  

16 minutes ago, mikechell said:

I'm pretty sure "wood" alcohol (Methanol) or isopropyl is better for preservation purposes.  I suppose Ethanol might work, just never heard of anyone using it.

I've read so much in the past month, not sure what or where I read it, but isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (only thing I had on hand) is not optimal b/c it makes the bugs brittle over time. What do you use or recommend and is it available anywhere?

3 minutes ago, utyer said:

With a good camera that can take macro images, there is no need to collect and preserve the bugs at all.  Just take a good clear close up image or two.  If you have a small ruler, take measurements of the length of your finds,  Words like "huge" really don't help much in identifying things.  Take measurement, photos, and make notes as to where and when you find these samples.  Notes on water temperature and type would also help in identification.  

Its a 1 dram vial that is 45mm tall. I hear you about the camera, I have a nice one, but not lugging that in the stream. My cell phone is work issued, not sure if it has a macro mode, I'll have to check.

The collecting thing is kind of fun and thought it may prove useful in tying, or maybe I've been watching my wife play animal crossing to much. :)

Started a journal with your other suggestions, saw that in a book. 

The first one is a light blur.  If it's tiny, probably not a Cahill.  They're usually Size 14.  Could be a Little Sulphur,  they're size 18.  I've seen small white mayflies that are about a size 20.  Never been able to properly ID them, flunked Latin in high school.   If the yellow stonefly is huge, then it's not a Yellow Sally, otherwise known as the Little Yellow Stone fly,  The ones I've run into in South Central Vermont were somewhere between a size 12 and size 14.  If you measured them they're 10 mm long, that includes body and wing.  Keep that in mind when you're choosing a hook to tie a pattern on.   I don't know what the last one is.  Could be a land insect or some type of water bug.  While looking to see what it was I came  upon this web https://www.macroinvertebrates.org/.  It's an on line macroinvertebrate encyclopedia.  Might be useful for identifying nymphs once you start collecting them.  I never really collected stream bugs.  I always carried a small plastic container with me, in case any bugs landed on me.  I just took them home, examined them,  took measurements, wrote notes on color, etc.   That's how I found out if a book tells you a bug is a size 16, you probably don't want to tie it on a size 16 hook, particularly caddis and stoneflies. 

I don't collect anymore.  When I did, Isopropyl worked just fine.  I had some specimens that were 15 years or so in the solution, still able to dissect with a sharp razor blade.  Gave it all to a niece who was going into biology in college.

If you really want to test your marriage, get a fish tank, bring the bugs back live as nymphs, and grow your own mini-hatches...

Formaldehyde from drug store for preserving stuff in jars.  Not sure how long they’ll last in alcohol.... Get my alum there for tanning hides too

Can you still buy formaldehyde?  I thought they took that stuff off the shelves, as it is considered a hazardous material.