Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Duck

Short Trip Today

Since it has rained for the past 2 weeks, I was able to finally get back out. The fishing was so so, at best. 9 Bream, none huge and 2 Bass, One about 1.5 lbs and the other maybe a half a pound. I did find that the big Bream are back on the beds in the same places as they were 45 days ago. I packed up literally 3 minutes before the rain started again. The water temps were about 5 degrees cooler than normal and the water looked like chocolate milk. Not really good conditions. Most of the Bream came out of the smallest pond on the property and they always have a different color that the Bream in the other two ponds. I might head back out tomorrow, but, I have a new toy I need to get out and shoot.

The first two Bream pictured came from the small pound and could have literally been bookends, caught on two consecutive casts into the same little holes in the submerged weeds. The last Bream was caught in one of the larger ponds. Notice thats its darker and a lot less green colored.

IMG-2511.JPG

IMG-2512.JPG

IMG-3808.jpg

IMG-3810.jpg

IMG-3811.jpg

Pretty fish.  Those first two are genetic twins ... right down to the orange patches on the Anal and Caudal fins!

My "Local Pond" is still clear, but it's about 15 inches higher than it was 2 weeks ago.  I'm editing the video now.  Didn't do nearly as well ... 

Mike,

They were so similar that I checked closely to see if it was the same fish. If you'll notice the "web" between the first and second ray on the dorsal fin, of one fish, is just a touch deeper than the other. Other than that, It could be the same fish. It supposed to be nice tomorrow, but, scattered T-Storms tonight. More water and cooler water temps, so tomorrow may be a shooting day

Nice fish Ken. Looks like the new rod is working out for ya. You can send some of that rain this way please. I figured my yard would be knee how and weeds overgrown the garden by the time I got back from my 2 week trip. Yet got home yesterday and the yard is brown and weeds haven't even grown. No rain here for 2 weeks now.

6 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Nice fish Ken. Looks like the new rod is working out for ya. You can send some of that rain this way please. I figured my yard would be knee how and weeds overgrown the garden by the time I got back from my 2 week trip. Yet got home yesterday and the yard is brown and weeds haven't even grown. No rain here for 2 weeks now.

You are welcome to ALL of this rain. I'm sick to death of it and we have WAY m ore than we need right now. A late afternoon thunderstorm gets the rivers and creeks out of their banks right now.

On 6/20/2020 at 2:12 PM, The Mad Duck said:

... I have a new toy I need to get out and shoot.

Annnnd?

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

Annnnd?

Annnd, After 25 rounds I have it sighted in and shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yards. Ar-15 in 5.56. Loads of fun to shoot. I took it to the basement today and laser bore sighted it, so It should be about 1 inch groups when I get out to the range again. It started off 6 inches low and two inches off center to the left.

1 hour ago, The Mad Duck said:

Annnd, After 25 rounds I have it sighted in and shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yards. Ar-15 in 5.56. Loads of fun to shoot. I took it to the basement today and laser bore sighted it, so It should be about 1 inch groups when I get out to the range again. It started off 6 inches low and two inches off center to the left.

Sound like you had a great time. I'e been thinking about getting one myself, but went for a new split cane rod instead. I'm saving my pennies though. Enjoy your new toy

4 hours ago, The Mad Duck said:

the current climate of the USA, The AR made more sense. 😎

Sad,  but true.  

16 hours ago, The Mad Duck said:

Well, since I have several split bamboo rods already, and the current climate of the USA, The AR made more sense. 😎

I'm stocked w/ firearms. But as the saying goes you can never have too many guns or rods.  Agree on the climate.