Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

Simplicity

While I enjoy looking at the complexity and perfection of the flies tied by others, I do not enjoy complex perfect tying. Fish catching simplicity at its best. Buggers, or something like buggers. I find river SMB like rubber more than anything else in life. So for an upcoming trip I wanted to make sure I had a few more things with rubber.

bassbug.jpg

Those are Perfect!  Doesn't adding the rubber make them a bit more complex?  Sooooo ... perfectly complex? 😄

Those look good, Poopdeck.  This tequeely I tie does pretty well and is a simply tie, just add weight as desired. 

Te-Queeley.jpg

37 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Those are Perfect!  Doesn't adding the rubber make them a bit more complex?  Sooooo ... perfectly complex? 😄

Hmmmmmmmm

12 minutes ago, niveker said:

Those look good, Poopdeck.  This tequeely I tie does pretty well and is a simply tie, just add weight as desired. 

Te-Queeley.jpg

I'd say the tequeely and the twitch fly are the same fly. I really like those colors. I might have to hit the fly shop today for some orange chenille. Is the black in the body simply a sharpie? 

43 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Is the black in the body simply a sharpie?

No, its ''Variegated New Age Chenille - Halloween' LOL.  It was in a box of fly tying stuff I picked up at a yard sale a while back, though a marker would work just as well. 

IMG-20200708-074905.jpg

Hmmm. Poopdeck's green flies look similar to what I tie in white for carp.

7 hours ago, niveker said:

No, its ''Variegated New Age Chenille - Halloween' LOL.  It was in a box of fly tying stuff I picked up at a yard sale a while back, though a marker would work just as well. 

IMG-20200708-074905.jpg

The color worked out to almost a perfect spiral on the shank that's why I presumed sharpie. The fly shop had no orange or variegated orange. Maybe next week they will get some in.

7 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Hmmm. Poopdeck's green flies look similar to what I tie in white for carp.

My carp box is going with me tomorrow for my SMB trip. Carp and SMB seem to prefer the same thing. I say seem to because I've yet to catch a carp on my carp flies because I can't keep the bass off of them.

4 hours ago, samsonboi said:

Woolly Buggers are still as effective as ever!

Indeed they are. I do find when the WB bite is on it's on but when it's off it's really off. 

3 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Those flies are great Poop, I hope we get to see some of your basses too.

Sorry to say there will be no pictures. I simply cannot be bothered with taking pictures of fish. For me to take a picture it will have to be a +22" SMB and I have not seen one of those in about 30 years. My largest river bass is 19" so I guess there's a slim chance of snapping a pic of a +19" fish but the SMB fishing on the river has been "off" for the  last five years. First it was ridiculous numbers of small fish followed by less but bigger fish to seemingly few fish last year. I am encouraged this year because so far we have been catching okay numbers with okay size. With that said a 15" fish will be a biggun tomorrow but I expect them mostly to be in the 10 to 14" range. 

I do like your live action shots however I own nothing to easily take live action shots. I'm starting to embrace being a curmudgeon. 

1 hour ago, skeet3t said:

PD, Photoshop will do wonders to your fish.😉

I have no problem embellishing my fish with the use of Photoshop.
We live in the world of optics, in an election year no less.
Took to video taping and photographing all of my fish because guys would question my catch.
I have an okole load of video landing smallies and largemouth. It's all over my FB page.
Now the problem I have is guys wanting to fish with me.

Kimo

1 hour ago, Kimo said:

Poop,
23" smallie.

36087197_2033913033286661_39519512533233

😀 Kimo

And what a fine picture it is. A couple years ago I thought I had it matched but it was a day I didn't have a net and I had him on my ML with 6 lb test. After some great thrashing around some truck sized boulders I finally got him to the boat. When I went to hoist him in the line snapped as he was inches away from the gunwale and away he went. Another few inches and he would have landed in my lap. It was not to be and in my parts 22+ don't come around often especially since I pretty much exclusively fish the river. I've been close in size but we all know where close counts. Maybe tomorrow will be my day. 

To me, photos and videos just enhance the fishing. It extends the pleasure. It adds to the challenge, it's one thing to tie a nice fly, it's another to catch a fish with it and it's another thing all together to get a really nice picture of a really nice fish on a really nice fly. To each his own, have a good time buddy.