Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Next project...1/5 scale truck

Getting ever so close now. After spending a couple days extending the rear of the chassis to fit the two smc lipos I got her almost together now. Just have to wire in the ESC, do the steering and then rear steer lock out, few odds & ends like links for the sway bars and add limiting strap mounts, then it'll be ready for testing before going to the powder coater. The rear chassis length now is perfect as a wheelie bar as well. Had to do the good ol' drop test toi see how the suspension works. Lands with minimal bounce and soaks it right up. Set it up with about 25% droop then 22.5w oil in the shocks and progressive springs. I think it's gonna be a real good big air truck.

p1h4R2a.jpg

zjb6GNW.jpg

TuSI5io.jpg

9KLqCSi.jpg

F0L7oBr.jpg

5lHRHDJ.jpg

QG7o3ZN.jpg

uZpvrpt.jpg

4fdps26.jpg

S0laBIL.jpg

Another thing checked off the "to-do" list on the 1/5 truck project. Fabbed my own rear steer lock out. I was going to do it like Bari & others do with the baja shock shafts/rod ends, but couldn't find just the bare shafts without other parts (high cost) so decided to make my own lock out myself out of solid 5/16 steel round stock. Filed some flats on it then welded some 1/8" steel plates on the ends. squared the housing face to the side face of the hub so it was 90 deg and located the holes. Finally had something on this project go off without a hitch! lol. rear tires are dead straight and solid as a rock.

HnFChxc.jpg

Spent the past 2 days airbrushing up the body for the 1/5 scale build. Once I get the chassis sent to powder coat and it comes back in bright yellow this will be going on top of it.

Gv71VZe.jpg

o5HUXY8.jpg

BFrPGup.jpg

bvNCT9p.jpg

23pJ5L2.jpg

DFkqDxl.jpg

Y1UoI6x.jpg

Didn't have very much time to dedicate to the truck this weekend. Had some rod orders to work on (damn real work) but after finishing one rod this evening I did manage to spend about 3 hrs fabricating a drivers seat out of some sheet metal and 1/8 round stock. Still have more to do such as make a racing harness, mount, then put the driver in once it gets here but came out pretty slick looking so far.

Xn8JVoH.jpg

Haven't had much time the past 2 weeks to work on the 1/5 scale (busy with real work stuff) but have sneaked in a few hours here and there. Found an 8" driver figure online that was the perfect size so made some racing harness, steering wheel, and other things as well as visor for the helmet and such. Also made a mount for a red led kill switch indicator like real Monster Jam trucks have to add to the scale look. My aluminum heim joints came in so was able to connect the sway bars. Got the big giant 1/5 scale servo installed. Took some work to get it in right and where it clears everything but after some back and forth I finally got it tucked up in there real nicely now.

Still have a number of things to do before test runs and powder coat, but the list is getting shorter for sure.

hxMwoGo.jpg

gLmrwTC.jpg

bDHMpJp.jpg

weTCTGu.jpg

Iwwo7Ux.jpg

bcKdSeP.jpg

hhs4pE3.jpg

Finally able to get back onto progress for the 1/5 scale Hesse axle truck after 6 weeks of busy with real work. Starting to print my thicker more scale beadlock rings for the Monster Claws. Rings looked good, but I was not happy with the lack of scale bolts appearance. So I made a template ring and centered a dummy bolt hole between each real bolt. Countersunk the dummy hole and then cut the bolt length by about 60%. Got a much more scale look now to it I think.

f5KpLAx.jpg

8 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Spent the day wiring it all up. Finally have power to the axles now.

Very cool. I wish I was this handy.

That's one complicated contraption.  I realize the engine faces back, but should the pipes still face back also?  Wouldn't want exhaust fumes/flames shooting forward.  I haven't watched real monster trucks, so I don't know.