Fly Tying

3 minutes ago, troutmaster08 said:

Thank you all. I now have many new ideas and will begin to approach this from a new angle.

Good for you. Take all advise given graciously and learn everything you can (in whatever you do).

On 7/21/2020 at 11:36 AM, troutmaster08 said:

What improvements could I make to my Etsy page to get more potential buyers.

Sorry I came late to the party...

Etsy itself gives you the path to success. Click on one of your fly assortments and scroll down to where Etsy spurs your potential customers to "Explore More"...  Those seller's are your competition on Etsy. Try to figure out how you can offer something different -- better, cheaper, faster, etc. You can see which of your competitors are doing well by checking their number of sales, looking at their reviews, etc.

There's my 2¢ anyway

5 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

There's my 2¢ anyway

Here's mine.  Why not Ebay instead of Etsy?  I would expect much more "traffic" on Ebay.   I visit Ebay every couple of days, probably because they send me email, but Etsy does not really cross my mind. Maybe if I had an Etsy account it would be different.  YMMV.  Good luck with your opportunities! 

BTW, I suspect you could make at least $20 cutting a law in two hours.  That might buy 2 or 3 indian rooster capes, which you might find work just fine for many purposes.  The latter part of that seems to go largely unappreciated.  Not everyone really needs Metz-quality hackle. It's surely justified for certain flies, but if you don't tie many of those flies, than not so much. For the cost of an indian cape (maybe $7-10), you can afford to test the waters.  If I just needed a couple of feathers of a color I didn't use very much, I can tell you what sort of neck it would come off of.  I suppose when you start tying by the dozen (I never got to that plateau), then it will be easier to justify  whatever feathers you would like to have. One exception to what I wrote is "Grizzly".  I would, and did, buy a decent Grizzly neck even though it pinched. But this is not inconsistent with what I suggested above.

9 minutes ago, Bill_729 said:

Here's mine.  Why not Ebay instead of Etsy?  I would expect much more "traffic" on Ebay.   I visit Ebay every couple of days, probably because they send me email, but Etsy does not really cross my mind. Maybe if I had an Etsy account it would be different.  YMMV.  Good luck with your opportunities! 

BTW, I suspect you could make at least $20 cutting a law in two hours.  That might buy 2 or 3 indian rooster capes, which you might find work just fine for many purposes.  The latter part of that seems to go largely unappreciated.  Not everyone really needs Metz-quality hackle. It's surely justified for certain flies, but if you don't tie many of those flies, than not so much. For the cost of an indian cape (maybe $7-10), you can afford to test the waters.  If I just needed a couple of feathers of a color I didn't use very much, I can tell you what sort of neck it would come off of.  I suppose when you start tying by the dozen (I never got to that plateau), then it will be easier to justify  whatever feathers you would like to have. One exception to what I wrote is "Grizzly".  I would, and did, buy a decent Grizzly neck even though it pinched. But this is not inconsistent with what I suggested above.

I didnt go with ebay just because if the sheer number of people that are selling flies off there. There is a lot!

1 hour ago, Landon P said:

I didnt go with ebay just because if the sheer number of people that are selling flies off there. There is a lot!

I accept your answer.  But your answer tells you where your fly fishing customers are looking too, while they are looking at other "outdoorsy stuff"--Etsy, not so much (I think).   As was mentioned earlier.  I think if you specialized in a particular type of fly or two, it might well be found by the people who know what they are looking for.  No one can complete with the "Orvis Catalog", which I used as a source of ideas once upon a time. 

Update: I took a closer look at Etsy. I was surprised to see A Lot of flies for sale there!  I suppose many sellers list on all of the sites that they can, given the supposedly low cost of doing so.