Fly Tying
haziz

Rooster Cape Anatomy?

This maybe elementary to veteran fly tiers, but to us newbies, rooster cape anatomy is a bit of a mystery. Now that I have received 6 great capes (and 2 saddles) from Charlie Collins (highly recommended BTW), I am trying to figure out my way around each cape.

Are there illustrations, pictures,  or in this age YouTube videos, that illustrate where, on the cape, to grab spade hackle tailing material, hackle for small flies, hackle for larger flies, stiffer barbs, softer barbs, and general fly tying, particularly hackle, know-how and lore?

Basically is there a photo of a cape with arrows or lines pointing to where you would opt to pick your tailing material, best hackle, large hackle etc.?

I did grab a bag of Spade hackle from him, but that is only in Grizzly, and I would want tailing material in other colors. I do have a hackle gauge, so I am already exploring on my own, but some advice and lore would also be very welcome.

Thanks.

45 minutes ago, haziz said:

This maybe elementary to veteran fly tiers, but to us newbies, rooster cape anatomy is a bit of a mystery. Now that I have received 6 great capes (and 2 saddles) from Charlie Collins (highly recommended BTW), I am trying to figure out my way around each cape.

Are there illustrations, pictures,  or in this age YouTube videos, that illustrate where, on the cape, to grab spade hackle tailing material, hackle for small flies, hackle for larger flies, stiffer barbs, softer barbs, and general fly tying, particularly hackle, know-how and lore?

Basically is there a photo of a cape with arrows or lines pointing to where you would opt to pick your tailing material, best hackle, large hackle etc.?

I did grab a bag of Spade hackle from him, but that is only in Grizzly, and I would want tailing material for other colors. I do have a hackle gauge, so I am already exploring on my own, but some advice and lore would also be very welcome.

Thanks.

Buy the Fly Tier's Benchside Reference. It has this information.

hi get your self a hackle size guide that fits on the steam of your vice it will give you an idea of hackle size in relation to hook size then take one of your cock capes place it on your  the tying area with the smaller end of the faceing  downwards wide end faceing upwards the cut a piece of white cardabout one inch longer than the cape  get a marker pen then lay the card besides the cape then imagin the cape is divided into three   1) from the bottom to about 3" up for size 20-16 flies so make a mark on the card about 3" from the bottom of the cape this will give you an approximiate hackle size for the size range mentioned 2) make another mark on the card 3" up from the first mark this will give you the size hackles for hook range 16-8 flies  3)from the second  mark to the top of the cape these are your larger saddle hackles for lures or large palmered dry flies put another mark for the top of the cape  this then is a home made hackle gauge   4) saddle capes for dry flies the long thin metz or hoffman or any saddle hackles for dry flies the wider saddle hackles are mainly for lures hope this helps regards Steve

9 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Buy the Fly Tier's Benchside Reference. It has this information...................

Thanks. A used copy of the book was already on it's way to me. Looking forward to it. It is good to know that this information is covered.

I always called a cape a neck.  The Benchside Reference is excellent.  Just about everything to do with fly tying is in there.

2 hours ago, haziz said:

....A used copy of the book is already on it's way to me. ....It is good to know that this information is covered.

p. 9, three pictures and a half page of detailed text.