Fly Tying
DogtaEff

Can anyone identify this fish?

Fishing on my small cottage lake tonight and I catch three of these in a row. The lake has bass (smallmouth 95% and largemouth 5%) and panfish. 

Was using a white and black Wooly Bugger 

It has a wide mouth that looks like it is directed downward. Anyone know what it is?

Ryan7C9CDBE9-0082-4F16-A8F2-969052B44EBC.thumb.jpeg.b05c35eb2348b273cfc5ca15398a15c8.jpeg

You're holding  bass food.  Where is the lake located(state)?  It's not a sucker.  Mouth isn't right.   I'm leaning toward a small lake whitefish.  It could be a fall fish, though I associate them with streams and rivers but if the lake is stream fed they could be in it.

It looks like what we call a round whitefish in Alaska. It won't hurt other fish populations. Many people put them in ponds to help make them healthier.

Looks like a Creek Chub, to me.  Soft bodied fish that is a favorite prey of large bass, etc.

Certainly looks like a fallfish.  The tail looks too deeply forked for a creek chub.  Where in the country was it?

Just now, redietz said:

Certainly looks like a fallfish.  The tail looks too deeply forked for a creek chub.  Where in the country was it?

Ya know, you very well could be right. I have no issue saying I am wrong, I might be here. I dunno if we have "fall fish:" here. But I just googled fallfish, and that tail does look different than our normal creek chubs we have here.

I ain't admittin' nothin'!  I don't know what a "fallfish" is, so it can't be one of those !!!  😡

😄

I'm by no means certain.  There are several of the larger minnows that look similar, and I have a hard time telling them apart.  Where I live, though, I see a lot of fallfish as well creek chubs (they're very close relatives) and that looks like the former to me.

9 minutes ago, DogtaEff said:

In Ontario, Canada 

That's within the range of fallfish,  and they can live in lakes if the water is clear.