Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Boy am I having a good Sunday.

I got up, finished cutting up the moose and caribou meat for this year. Put some caribou ribs on for four hours with a dry rub. Had some seafood chowder for lunch made (a couple of days ago) with all wild caught smoked salmon, rock fish, halibut, king crab, prawns and ling cod.

Then, I went into the fly tying room to start cleaning it up but I got side tracked with some tying projects that had been left unfinished on the bench. Three hours later I'm still side tracked perfecting extended tails for Mayflies.

Boy, what a good day.

I hope you're having a good Sunday too.

Tell us about it.

😏My siblings used to do a daily "what I'm eating and doing" group E-mail thing.  I don't know if they do anymore, since that's why I haven't spoken to any of them in a decade or so. 😉  Just saying.

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

😏My siblings used to do a daily "what I'm eating and doing" group E-mail thing.  I don't know if they do anymore, since that's why I haven't spoken to any of them in a decade or so. 😉  Just saying.

You must not be having a good day. Cheer up, it'll get better.😁 Is that all I have to do to get you to stop talking to me? :P Didn't know it would be so easy.

No problem with my day and I'm as cheerful as I can be.  Well, the daily crap-mail was what started it.  My wife corrected the spelling and grammar issues on an E-mail from a middle-school-teacher sister of mine. Wife meant it jokingly.  Sister got all hurt and brought the rest of the family in to defend her.  Long story shortened ... I chose Wife over siblings and haven't regretted a day since.  I don't even know if any of them are still living.

Got into the shop and tested out some new dye stains, a buddy stopped by so we threw some horseshoes, told him I re packed my bearings and now I'm re packing his on Saturday, tentatively scheduled a fishing trip next Sunday, watched the Eagles game, got pissed off, cut the grass, grilled some USDA Prime, back to the shop to test a new spray lacquer, went for a 5 mile walk and ended the night doing a little banking and watching expedition unknown. 

13 hours ago, mikechell said:

No problem with my day and I'm as cheerful as I can be.  Well, the daily crap-mail was what started it.  My wife corrected the spelling and grammar issues on an E-mail from a middle-school-teacher sister of mine. Wife meant it jokingly.  Sister got all hurt and brought the rest of the family in to defend her.  Long story shortened ... I chose Wife over siblings and haven't regretted a day since.  I don't even know if any of them are still living.

Wow

5 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Got into the shop and tested out some new dye stains, a buddy stopped by so we threw some horseshoes, told him I re packed my bearings and now I'm re packing his on Saturday, tentatively scheduled a fishing trip next Sunday, watched the Eagles game, got pissed off, cut the grass, grilled some USDA Prime, back to the shop to test a new spray lacquer, went for a 5 mile walk and ended the night doing a little banking and watching expedition unknown. 

Sounds like a pretty good Sunday. 'cept for the Eagles part. 

6 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

My wife and I love Expedition Unknown.   As do three of our older granddaughters who watch the show with us when they stay over.   Sadly it's getting really tough to find family friendly TV these days -the Hollywood trash pushers just can't help themselves. To his credit Josh Gates brings wit and humor to the show.   Another host would turn it into "The Kardashians go treasure hunting".

Well Mark yesterday was a good day for me too.  My wife and I decided to take the dog and drive up to Portsmouth NH on the Atlantic coast.  They are a dog friendly city and you can bring a leashed dog almost anywhere  (some shops don't allow dogs but most are welcoming).  Even restaurants can allow dogs as long as you choose outside seating which was fine by us.  It was 75 and sunny.  As we went along we stopped and had an appetizer and libation at a couple different places.  I'm a cheese fanatic and the town cheese shop gave us a free tasting of what they say is the No. 1 rated cheese in the world.  It's a blue cheese selling for $65.00 a pound and I have to say it was pretty awesome!  Having a dog with you is a really easy way to meet new friends.  We must have had 40 or 50 nice people come talk to us yesterday who otherwise would have walked right by simply because of Oliver.

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

Well Mark yesterday was a good day for me too.  My wife and I decided to take the dog and drive up to Portsmouth NH on the Atlantic coast.  They are a dog friendly city and you can bring a leashed dog almost anywhere  (some shops don't allow dogs but most are welcoming).  Even restaurants can allow dogs as long as you choose outside seating which was fine by us.  It was 75 and sunny.  As we went along we stopped and had an appetizer and libation at a couple different places.  I'm a cheese fanatic and the town cheese shop gave us a free tasting of what they say is the No. 1 rated cheese in the world.  It's a blue cheese selling for $65.00 a pound and I have to say it was pretty awesome!  Having a dog with you is a really easy way to meet new friends.  We must have had 40 or 50 nice people come talk to us yesterday who otherwise would have walked right by simply because of Oliver.

That sounds like a great day. Oliver's a charmer, I can tell. And he's so cute.

So Mike yesterday (sunday) I more or less skipped breakfast and just had my normal cup of coffee around 1130 or 12 I made myself a sloppy jo with left over sphegetti sauce, for dinner I had.....

My kids had a thing at church so I was able to meet up with a couple friends for most of a round of disc golf.

I also got the handle on this guy most of the way cleaned up for the most part I detest antler as a handle material but my buddies dad just had to have it, turned out decent a little fatter than I normally prefer but it feels pretty good.

Edit yesterday I had spaghetti for lunch the sloppy joe was Saturday.

20200928_193426.jpg

Thanks guys, it's got really thin canvas micarta liners to match the pins, I ground the soft core out and filled it with blue resin so it has blue at the front of the handle and at the butt.

May I ask why you detest antler handle? I think it looks superb. It makes me want to go shed hunting in early spring. Is it difficult to work with?