Fly Tying
Upstate

Landlock salmon flies

Lake  basic trolling patterns like  ghosts(feather wings) and similar bucktails/ hair wings you can tie them tandem, traditional long hook, or tube. I still live by the bright day bright fly, soft day dull /dark fly rule. patterns I keep in my box

ghosts- gray ghost, black ghost, yellow ghost, and Barnes special

hair wings/ smelts - blue and white, red and white, Jim's smelt, witches tit, Wilson's smelt(hot orange) I use bucktail or cashmere goat(longer and finer, & I like the action) black bear for the witches tit.

a couple of marabou flies, Winnipesaukee smelt or similar, black marabou with gold body and a bright gaudy cardinal  

I almost always start with a gray ghost or blue and white smelt on a bright day and the witches tit on a dark day. 

We can talk about favorite patterns but speed and depth are more important, paddling or rowing is good but tiring( paddle/rowing stroke gives movement to fly) motoring is easier and effective also. I cut lead core heads (1,2, and 3 color lengths) and attach with loop to loop with a level 3 to 6 foot fluorocarbon leader. Is all that necessary? probably not but it keeps my confidence level up and gives me something to do (adjust the rig) as motoring and trolling can be a otherwise boring way to fish, until you find the depth and speed the fish are working.

hope this helps.

42 minutes ago, cphubert said:

Lake  basic trolling patterns like  ghosts(feather wings) and similar bucktails/ hair wings you can tie them tandem, traditional long hook, or tube. I still live by the bright day bright fly, soft day dull /dark fly rule. patterns I keep in my box

ghosts- gray ghost, black ghost, yellow ghost, and Barnes special

hair wings/ smelts - blue and white, red and white, Jim's smelt, witches tit, Wilson's smelt(hot orange) I use bucktail or cashmere goat(longer and finer, & I like the action) black bear for the witches tit.

a couple of marabou flies, Winnipesaukee smelt or similar, black marabou with gold body and a bright gaudy cardinal  

I almost always start with a gray ghost or blue and white smelt on a bright day and the witches tit on a dark day. 

We can talk about favorite patterns but speed and depth are more important, paddling or rowing is good but tiring( paddle/rowing stroke gives movement to fly) motoring is easier and effective also. I cut lead core heads (1,2, and 3 color lengths) and attach with loop to loop with a level 3 to 6 foot fluorocarbon leader. Is all that necessary? probably not but it keeps my confidence level up and gives me something to do (adjust the rig) as motoring and trolling can be a otherwise boring way to fish, until you find the depth and speed the fish are working.

hope this helps.

thanks for the reply. i will be casting from shore mostly and from a boat occasionally. i have some patterns i use now, but was looking for some traditional style patterns to use.

1 minute ago, Upstate said:

casting from shore

If I was casting from shore I would be tying long hook patterns or tubes, tandem patterns tend to foul the hair and wings casting. I like bucktails and marabou wings for casting, same patterns (gray ghost with marabou wing etc.)

1 hour ago, flytire said:

if casting from shore i'd be tying "Casting" size streamers rather than 10x long shank trolling streamers

some of these should work

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/p/streamers.html

that's exactly what i'm looking for. is this your blog? it's pretty impressive. 

thanks!!

I see now that it is. All I can say is wow!

not going to get much work done for the remainder of the day. what an incredible resource.

I picked out a couple I liked the looks of and will give them a go soon. 

scripture bucktail #2

black ghost marabou and bucktail wing

and the salmo sebago

Good afternoon Upstate,

Flytire has an excellent data base on his site.  

Just something I would ad is the Miss Sharon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3YY2VUvesU

and the Barnes Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3HfQuunQaE

Either on a single extra long shank hook like Flytire said, or trolling a tandem behind a dodger.

Michael

On 11/5/2020 at 10:06 AM, flytire said:

if casting from shore i'd be tying "Casting" size streamers rather than 10x long shank trolling streamers

some of these should work

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/p/streamers.html

gave one of the fly shops listed on your blog some business. Ordered a few things for some streamers.