Fly Tying

#20 scud hook.  A lighter wire short shank emerger hook would be  a better choice.  But i'm out.  I'll have to order some.

Three materials:  duck flank body, dun hackle, Senyo Laser Dub wing.  The body and wing are made separately on a horizontal needle. The rest done in the vise.

The last step is to use a sewing needle to carefully stroke a minute amount of fabric cement onto the tip of the abdomen,  so it comes to a nicely tapered point.

up-ztk2021-02-16-10.53.00ZSDMap2_Baetis-

I can't see'em anymore either so I fish them behind a Royal Wulff.  And set the hook if the water dimples in the right place. I have to carry 5x jewelers goggles in my fishing backpack.  So I can get them tied on.

Mostly i just enjoy tying them.

Hey @salmobytes, two questions... On your extended body flies it looks like the hackle is tied in below the body... Assuming that is right,...

1. Is it the weight of the hook that keeps the fly upright & stable in  water?

2. What are you tying the hackle onto? Is it parachuting around the tying thread used to tie the abdomen - wing component onto the hook?

thanks. Neat creation there

Good lookin' fly! FWIW, if I wrap hackle around the hook, I trim the hackle on the bottom so it will sit flat.

I love the innovative body.  Do you have any concerns about durability?  I guess you could bring some Loon UV streamside in case you need to repair it.

Ok.  This is a remarkably durable fly.  I make a "wash bottle" out of thin CA glue by inserting a 28 guage thin wall PTFE (teflon) tube all the way to the bottom.  Then caulk it in place with a hot melt glue gun.  You don't tip the bottle.  You squeeze it and watch the glue ride up the PTFE tube.  Release pressure at the last second.  That way you can accurately dispense pin point drops, ezzackly where you need it.  22 or 24 guage for thicker ZapAGap.

I put a #10 beading needle in the vise.  Wax it with purple cross country ski wax.  Get thread started with maybe ten wraps all in same place. Lash on the tip of a duck flank feather. The rear end of that body feather looks like a paint brush at this point. We'll fix it later.

Pull a strand of Senyo Laser Dub either side of the body, where the body is wrapped onto the needle.  Parachute wrap on the top side of the body, around the wing clump with two wraps (all that while pulling up on the wing with your third hand).  Whip finish.  Pull it off the needle.

Hook in vise.  Add hackle feather but don't wind it yet.  Attach modular body LOOSELY (loosely).  Now wrap horizontally 5 t6 10 times between body and shank.  Leave bobbin hanging.  Wind parachute.  Turn vise so bottom of fly faces you, so bobbin and hackle pliers hang.  Put a micro dab of resin (UV or thicker CA like ZapAGap) at fulcrum of parachute.  Snip of the hanging stuff.  I use a razor.

Last step is to fix the paint brush tail.  Use a sewing needle to carefully roll and stroke a tiny amount of fabric cement on the end of the duck flank feather.  End only. Use a needle to stroke it out to a sharp point.  It's done.  Ready to fish in a half an hour (fabric cement takes a while).

The fly is all on top of the hook, which creates some wind resistance.  The weight of the hook pulls down on that wind resistance as the fly settles, so it always lands upright. 

lands gently too. Floats well. Dries off with two snap casts.  Floats again.  If I catch a fish I wash it off and put in silica powder.  But in between fish it only needs a quick snap cast.