Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Trout Fishing in Texas!?

So who knew trout fishing in Texas would be so good. I decided to go fish the Guadalupe river for some trout after we had one of the worst snow storms in recent Texas history. I figured most of the fish like bass and sunfish that I am used to targeting around here would be lethargic after the freeze. However trout are more cold tolerant, so I figured I would try trout fishing on the Guadalupe for the first time since moving to Texas. I have caught a couple trout before on the Guadalupe however never really was targeting them. I had a great time, hooked into quite a few fish. Unfortunately only brought in 1. However I did hook 4 and they were good size. Honestly these fish here fought better than the ones of equal size on the San Juan River. I definitely will be coming back to trout fish here next year no question.

10 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

Pretty cool. I actually had no idea there were even trout down in TX at all.

They stock them...  but some holdover.  More than likely what I caught was a holdover.  Many die in the summer heat though

There is a pond in hermann park, houston that has trout. I don't know how they survive

2 minutes ago, TIER said:

There is a pond in hermann park, houston that has trout. I don't know how they survive

I’m sure they are stocked.   I’ve heard that the breed they stock here is heat tolerant.  Granted extreme heat is still gonna kill them off, especially if they get stressed.  Many people suggest not to fish trout in the summer here for that reason.   Catching them could stress them and kill them.  However they are stocked and many places you can keep them.  Personally I don’t fish trout in the summer here since I don’t keep trout, but if your fishing to keep I guess it’s alright.  As long as you abide by the laws.   

Noticed everything is gray not like Ozarks where the rocks: bottom is brown almost black so the flies we used reflected that   I noticed his flies had flash bodies on some   I later tied some like his. 

The Guadalupe is the only trout stream/river in Texas. It is stocked. As mentioned about the pond in Houston might be spring fed, allowing trout to live. The dam is a weir dam that puts oxygen into the water. There is one in Tennessee, downstream from Norris Dam. BTW, I believe there is a Trout Unlimited chapter in Texas.

2 hours ago, skeet3t said:

The Guadalupe is the only trout stream/river in Texas. It is stocked. As mentioned about the pond in Houston might be spring fed, allowing trout to live. The dam is a weir dam that puts oxygen into the water. There is one in Tennessee, downstream from Norris Dam. BTW, I believe there is a Trout Unlimited chapter in Texas.

Yes there is a trout unlimited in Texas.  And I believe there are a couple of stocked streams in Texas, however the Guadalupe is the most well known.  

Very nice video, it had everything. Nice fish, nice water, some drama and even a fishing injury. What else could you want.

Denduke, it's always nice to see your pretty wife, but I still can't believe she fishes in white.

My mistake, thanks for the intro. She looks like a lot of fun to fish with. Are you allowed to say things like "Favorite daughter"?

On 3/6/2021 at 10:58 AM, McFlyLures said:

Yes there is a trout unlimited in Texas.  

I believe it's still the largest chapter in the country.

2 hours ago, denduke said:

Especially,  when her mother divorced me in ‘85 her/my adopted daughter at 2 yrs old when we married later on disowned me.  Haven’t spoken in years.  Least favorite.....Dede does a great job of filling in for a son/fishing buddy I missed on....

When she got married she raided my fly boxes had em in all the flowers.... Orange popper in my boutonnière...Kinda tears of joy and not critical of the popper👍

AE778732-23D4-4E16-838E-E8E90EA3508D.png

She's a good'n. Is she coming up to Alaska with you?