Fly Tying
troutmaster08

Articulated fly suggestions

I've recently been focusing a lot on tying articulated streamers. I mainly fish small ponds with bass up to 2 or 3 pounds. The water conditions vary a lot depending on the day but generally it's a little muddy. What articulated patterns do you guys use for bass? I'd love to see any and all ideas.

I don't really tie that many articulated flies.  I did tie some articulated Woolly Buggers for my Canadian trip at the end of August, but I didn't use them.  So they'll sit in my fly box till next spring.  I'll give them a shot for largemouth and smallmouth on the lakes we fish up in the Poconos.  They're unweighted and I added eyes to them.   I used a large Fish Skull articulated shank for the front and a 3/0 Daiichi 2461 streamer hook for the back.  Hackle is either saddle or schlappen. They run 6 to 7 inches long.  I tied them in the three colors that I've had success with when I've fished Woolly Buggers,  The patterns even have names. 

White River Demon

P3240536.JPG.c0067d8d2e11094f4bd499bc66a3e61a.JPG

Catskill Killer

P3240534.JPG.7f8e3af23a9601ced95c00d25a73a45a.JPG

Chili Pepper

P3240539.JPG.09c1143d0ed7a06cd9bc2b92003a1ee9.JPG

no real need for articulated flies for bass 2-3lb i fish ponds similar with bass up to 6lb.  streamers up to 4 inch will catch them .rich's ultimate worm is 4.5 inch and weedless is good as well as larger deceivers.also murdich minnows

I like the Peanut Envy, Brokeback Crawdaddy, and the Dungeon for articulated bass flies.  I also tie an articulated Pats Rubber Legs type nymph with the creeper chenille I call the Articulated Slow Kid.  I tie them with mono for the connecting loop.  I haven’t  had trouble with them coming apart or breaking. I’ve tested them by yanking on them with pliers as hard as I can, and they stayed together.  The thread really digs into the thick mono, so it doesn’t budge.  

Bass aren’t like trout, though.  They don’t strike short — they tend to take the fly head first, so a singular hook is more than enough.  The only real point of tying articulated bass flies is if you like tying articulated flies.  They might also be slightly wigglier.  

Here’s a pic of the articulated slow kid and the slow kid herself — my cat.  

782658D3-FD1F-4888-8CDA-FEFB05829B55.jpeg

1 hour ago, BaltCoWanderer said:

Bass aren’t like trout, though.  They don’t strike short — they tend to take the fly head first, so a singular hook is more than enough.  

Welcome to the site, BaltCo. 

I have to debate this topic, though.  Bass do not take a fly head first.  They do, however, inhale a fly/lure/prey species.  This usually puts the whole item inside the mouth, leading to the misconception that they took it headfirst.  They are ambush predators, which normally puts them beside or behind their target.  They do not swim around to the front to intercept and hit them head first.

When bass are schooling or actively chasing prey, they often mistime the inhalation and do indeed short strike.  If rapidly pulling a fly through the water to mimic fleeing prey, it's common to have bass swipe at the fly and miss the hook.  

Thank you!

I usually only fish river smallies when they’re spread out or hunkered deep, so I’ve never really experienced schooling Bass busting on baitfish.  

I suppose saying head first was the wrong way to put it.  That’s just how my Dad used to always say it.  I meant that bass, in the situations I’ve always fished them, aren’t tail nippers.  I definitely still fish articulated patterns for bass — I just haven’t had them take the back hook often. 

I have to agree with Mike in most everything he said.  I tend to fish clear and shallow water and I get to see majority of the takes and it is not uncommon for a bass to approach a baitfish or my fly from directly behind and in a second, inhale it.....why? simply because most baitfish have limited vision behind them but everything to the sides and front.  As to hitting short, yes, sometimes they'll hit short, especially if they're not in an all out feeding mode.  Countless times I've seen them move in from behind and take in only a small rearward portion of the fly and swim with the forward portion of the fly hanging outside the mouth for a second before deciding this isn't real and spit it out.  Articulated flies allow you to tie a much larger fly than you could on any single hook,  as well as increase movement, and can sometimes connect on those fish striking short.