Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Which is It? Or is it Either or?

Which spelling is more correct?  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To me a fly tyer sips earl grey tea, ties full dress salmon flies and discusses the latest cricket scores, a tier on the other hand does not mind a warm beer on a hot day, will tie anything including a clip of hair from his dog to a hook and keeps track of his fish numbers and sizes. A fly tyer makes it back to the lodge for cocktails, while a tier misses dinner completely but eats a can of chili warmed or cold when he gets back to the tent. A tyer fishes rivers with far away names and famous reputations, a tier will fish under a bridge abutment that is rumored to hold a monster brown or a good run of stripers. A tyer throws a vintage cane rod, while a tier grabs a graphite rod that gets the job done. A tyer smokes fine Cuban cigars, or a pipe; a tier swisher sweets or skoal. A tyer sends his waders to the manufacturer to patch a leak, or buys new, and a tier used duct tape and head cement to save time and not miss a day on the water.

Luckily in my career with this, I have had opportunity to enjoy being both Tier and Tyer!

Cheers to us all, Futzer

PS. Microsoft word thinks tier is correct :-)

For the record, the editorial policy of The American Museum of Fly Fishing's journal, "The American Fly Fisher", states that it be spelled "tyer". I have to laugh, I was that organization's executive director for six and a half years, and never saw this much debate about how to spell the word!

well since every definition of tier or tyer says a person that makes knots why not call us fly knotters

Cause most of us can't type words with more than 4 letters correctly :rolleyes: Cheers, Futz