Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Which is It? Or is it Either or?

Which spelling is more correct?  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi Guys,

I've gotten several comments on the spelling of Fly Tyer or Fly Tier, I've seen reference to both spelling in all major publications, books, magazines, etc.

I want your opinion on the spelling and any justifications you have, either dictionary definitions, old reference, etc.

Thanks everybody for voting.

Damian

LOL! yup I've heard that many a time. See the reason I ask is because of the registered name of my association I've formed. Nova Scotia Fly Tier's Association. I think eventually I"ll need to change the spelling of Tier's To Tyer's . Any English major's out there? LOL!

Thanks for the fun responses guys.

Damian flytyer, fly-tier!

we tie knots, tie flies, and tie your shoelaces. hence fly tier. I think some people use fly tyer because like you said, it looks neater, and its something you might be able to trademark, because it isn't common language.

steve

If you tie flies, then you must be a fly "tier"! However, if ye are into ye olde English spelling, it may welle bee "tyer"!

Any English Majors, grammarians, or etymologists on the list?

Alle the Beste to ye, from Merrie olde Nashville-

Stack Scoville

For your purpose, "Tyer" should be the word. Tyer means " one who ties." Tier, on the other hand, could have many meanings and can be pronounced in several ways- most of which not associated with fly tying.

Well someone has started it now-

According to the World Book Dictionary, there are two pronunciations for the word "tier". One rhymes with "teer" and is defined as a noun as"one of several rows one above the other"; as a verb, the same word is defined as "to arrange or be arranged, in tiers".

The word "tier", rhyming with the word "tire" ( as in going flat on your car), is defined as "a person or thing that ties".

The word "tye" is not found in World Book. "Tying" is found and is the present participle of the verb "to tie". The "i" is changed to "y" and "ing" is added so that the word is not spelled "tiing".

Therefore, we are fly "tiers"

FWIW wink.gif

From Nashville

Stack Scoville

CapeBSalar-

The funniest thing is, all of this is worth just what you paid for it!! wink.gif yahoo.gif lol.gif

From Nashville-

Stack Scoville