Fly Tying
FlannelCladlad

Airline Traveling With Gear?

I will be traveling mid-May to Colorado from Michigan. I haven't flown since 2004 and that was with scuba gear. Any seasoned vets have advice or tips for modern airlines? I will need a weekend of wading clothing, two rods (have tubes), stockingfoot waders and boots and a small sling of the usual. What would you be willing to check/carry on? Thanks.

I have been flying at least once  for the last 25 years.  A 4 piece rod will fit in the overheads behind most any carry on bags soft or hard.  Then my carry on goes in the overhead with reels, and new assortment of flies.  Since I go to the same destination every time, I have a full kit at my destination with waders, boots and other gear.  Delta and Southwest have never had any complaints with my 2 carry on items. 

I have had some issues at the  Airport security about fly tying vises, forceps, scissors, and pliers. Now I put any tying tools in my checked bag.  

On 1/30/2022 at 1:01 AM, Sandan said:

Carry the rods and reels. 

+1 -   Bring 4+ piece rods if possible as the air lines will probably not allow a 2 piece due to the length. 

23 hours ago, utyer said:

I have been flying at least once  for the last 25 years.  A 4 piece rod will fit in the overheads behind most any carry on bags soft or hard.  Then my carry on goes in the overhead with reels, and new assortment of flies.  Since I go to the same destination every time, I have a full kit at my destination with waders, boots and other gear.  Delta and Southwest have never had any complaints with my 2 carry on items. 

I have had some issues at the  Airport security about fly tying vises, forceps, scissors, and pliers. Now I put any tying tools in my checked bag.  

Utyer the security allows flies in your carry on?

I don't always do flies in carry on, but I have and haven't had any problems.  

Never flew with fishing gear, only on business. However, one guy was at an airport, carrying a rod case. A security guard hollered, "Weapon,!" and tackled the guy. The genius security guard thought he was carrying a rocket launcher. Ah, meshuggah.

57 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

The genius security guard thought he was carrying a rocket launcher. Ah, meshuggah.

Oy vey.  

2 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Never flew with fishing gear, only on business. However, one guy was at an airport, carrying a rod case. A security guard hollered, "Weapon,!" and tackled the guy. The genius security guard thought he was carrying a rocket launcher. Ah, meshuggah.

I bet that settlement was nice.