Fly Tying
jjs89yj

Fly fishing in Lansing early Jan?

I've spent all of my life in Florida and Texas, so my experience fishing in the winter up north is nil. I'm taking a business trip in very early January to Lansing, MI. Will everything be frozen, or is it worth bringing a fly rod?

I spent 4 years traveling to Michigan during winter. I recall one time it dropped to somewhere around -40 degrees. So cold it was the first time in the history of the University of Michigan they cancelled class due to cold. They opened the school a few days later when it warmed up to around -30. During The best winter during those 4 years it rarely went below zero but 10 degrees is no picnic either, unless you went through a week of -30 weather in which case 10 degrees feels mighty warm. Another thing about Michigan winters is the sun rarely makes an appearance. Really bizarre for a guy from PA. The only place I was colder was in Devils lake North Dakota where I spent a month in temps that set records when it got down to -50. To give you an idea how cold that is imagine so cold that you couldn't see your breath because the condensation in your breath would freeze into ice before it made it out your nose.

Went to Lansing one time for a sporting event. First time I ever saw heated sidewalks. Lansing is way colder then Ann Arbor because it's more north and in the "lake effect" zone of Michigan.

I would leave my fly fishing gear at home and would take my ice fishing gear but I guess you don't have any of that stuff. I guarantee you guys from Florida and Texas do not even have the clothing to survive fishing during Michigan winters. But then again maybe it will be a warm winter this year.

Pack lots of toasty toes and hot hands.

Born and breed Michigander here. Lansing is about 1hr to 1hr30mins West of me (SE Mi here) but defiantly do not leave your fly gear at home if you are going to have a bit of free time during your business trip. Lansing is only about 1-2hrs or so from some really good steelhead rivers such as the Pere Marquette, Manistee, Muskegon, Grand river etc etc. Our steelhead runs are at peak in the fall and then March-May but all the rivers mentioned have steelhead that winter over in the river so there will be fish in the rivers if you decide to take a day and hit them.

What about the cold steeldrifter? Isnt it going to be be bone chilling cold? I never felt my toes once up there

When Steve says, "... if you are going to have a bit of free time during your business trip.", he means a full day.

Winter days ... only about 7 hours of sunshine up there ... go to work in the dark, come home in the dark.

What about the cold steeldrifter? Isnt it going to be be bone chilling cold? I never felt my toes once up there

Cold to a Michigan Steelheader and cold to an out of state angler is open to interpretation lol wink.png We don't consider it bone chilling cold here until it drops into the teens or lower. It will be cold in January for sure, but nothing layers of fleece under your waders can't fix. pretty much right on Mike, dark by about 5'ish here now.

Thanks for the responses guys. I should know as it gets closer whether i'll have a day free. I think i could wear all the clothes i own and i'll still freeze my butt off, but if there's fish it'll be worth it.

Well I'm good down to about 40. After that frozen line and iced over guides has its very own place in hell. You Michigan guys are surely a hardier breed.

Get in touch with Mike Schmidt out of Ypsilanti (nearby) or another Michigan outfitter and schedule a drift for a day on one of our afore mentioned steehead rivers. That would be my choice for an outing in January.

Don't wear felt sole boots in the snow.

Very good advice that I wished I knew before a December trip to Ft. Smith, Montana few years back

Why, it's fun walking around 9ft tall lol

I don't care if she cuts the holes in the ice I'm staying well below the Mason Dixon.

post-44758-0-74502300-1481324012_thumb.jpg

Ha ha .. Salty. I am with you.

She might dress (or undress) like that for the picture ... but she's not dressed like that all day long (which she could do down here).