Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lucian.Vasies

Peacock Quill and CDC Emergers

for lake ( sometimes I tie them on super small hooks and work great for trout in rivers too )

emergers-with-quill-and-hot-spots.jpg

spotted-and-simple.jpg

troutline-peacock-quill-emerger.jpg

The quill is coated with ultra thin uv resin to keep slim body and to protect it from fish teeth

Attractive ties but it is very rare that I would ever want to spend that much time tying a fly that is not going to float very long, especially for moving water. Outstanding photography as always.

Difficult to tie? Not at all :) . Just 3 CDC feathers, a body made of quill and a few turns with dubbing where CDC are fixed.Optional a turn of soft hackle for movement when the fly floats in drift or I use small pulls ....

Floats fantastic well ( if the fly is tied in the correct way), no a splash if you cast far away and it will not scare the fish. natural look, easy to be noticed even if the wind is blowing..

Can be fished on rivers like a simple emerger. Can be fished on lakes with or without retrieves .

I never go fishing without this fly tied in different way, late in the day when the light is decreasing this is my best fly to catch big fish :)

cheers

L

Difficult to tie? Not at all :) . Just 3 CDC feathers, a body made of quill and a few turns with dubbing where CDC are fixed.Optional a turn of soft hackle for movement when the fly floats in drift or I use small pulls ....

Floats fantastic well ( if the fly is tied in the correct way), no a splash if you cast far away and it will not scare the fish. natural look, easy to be noticed even if the wind is blowing..

Can be fished on rivers like a simple emerger. Can be fished on lakes with or without retrieves .

I never go fishing without this fly tied in different way, late in the day when the light is decreasing this is my best fly to catch big fish :)

cheers

L

How small do you find you go for rivers and how small do you make the CdC "wing" or do you only worry about the hook size and keep the vane roughly the same for float properties

#20-22, I know guys who use a size 24.

One cdc feather/barbs tied long enough to be noticed easly. I do not trim the feather, it is a big mistake. Even if the fly looks weard with a long feather and small body it is not a problem, the feather is mostly out from water and do not bother the fish.

Thanks, Lucian, what do you consider a "normal" size for these? In the past I used much smaller flies in still water than in streams, but I take it that you are using larger ones in the lakes?

#14 is the biggest sized used. I fish normally with size #16-18 . When I fish grayling and is too difficult to catch, I go down #20-22 my favourite is the Varivas BL 2200 hooks

I have been put off these generally as you say, they look odd with a big vane but you don't think the silhouette bothers the fish. I'll try some this year on my river.

The long feathers looks odd indeed but they float well and the wing is over the water. Don't bother the fish. Lots of fishermen trim the feathers to "proportion" but is wrong. The feather should not be trimmed