Fly Tying
Stippled Popper

New Stippled Poppers

It HAS been a while since I've posted anything new. But I have found time to come up
with a few things.

ImitationDeerHairNo2_zps33eb4993.png

BlueNo3_zps041d0140.png

Playing with Purple, Green, Gold and lots of marabou. I live in the land of Mardi Gras after all.

Purple2014FullTail_zpsa01af8b2.png

Purple02_zps705a8294.png

MardiGras02_zps60d1f9df.png

MardiGras2014_zps8ae8b161.png

A gentleman I met at a recent show wanted a Chartreuse Pencil Popper.

ChartreusePencilNumbr4_zpsd95220ed.png

SP paint jobs on a couple of Kirk Dietrich's Rabid Dog bodies.

RabidDogBass_zpsa61721b3.png

I finally found a use for some of the hackle tips I kept that were too small to tie behind a popper body
with a touch of Stu Thompson's Dark Water Dubbing.

RabidDog01_zps3d615415.png

...hope you enjoy the views.

As usual, you amaze me with the paint schemes. Wonderful work ... almost too pretty to fish with ... almost.

Excellent looking poppers! The standard by which to be compared to! I look at those and think... 'my goodness - I wish I could do that!" Trying to catch up with projects around the house here and have sucessfully got the kids off to College. Maybe in a couple of months I'll get some time to start playing around with poppers/flies again.

Very nice Ron!

BCT

Can I ask what you use to apply the eyes. Are those just different sized diameter dowels dipped in paint? And do you actually dip the pin in paint for each dot on those bodies? Or do you have a tool that feeds the paint for more then one dot at a time. That is a really neat technique. Very nice affect. But holy cow, to dip for each dot at a time, must be very time consuming. But time isn't everything, the results speak for themselves. Some of the best looking poppers, EVER!

Can I ask what you use to apply the eyes. Are those just different sized diameter dowels dipped in paint? And do you actually dip the pin in paint for each dot on those bodies? Or do you have a tool that feeds the paint for more then one dot at a time. That is a really neat technique. Very nice affect. But holy cow, to dip for each dot at a time, must be very time consuming. But time isn't everything, the results speak for themselves. Some of the best looking poppers, EVER!

Depending on the size of the popper the eyes are applied with the metal rods in the bottom of the following image or

the blunted needles behind them. . . biggest dot first and then smaller to make the other elements. When painting

eyes I do usually place a dot per immersion in the paint and wipe. Wiping avoids paint buildup which causes the

dots to be bigger and other problems. Everything is applied by hand with brush and the painting tools shown below.

The idea is not to have perfectly round dots for the rest. That would be too mechanical for my taste. I keep making

dots until it is necessary to dip the painting tool again or wipe it and dip again.

It does take much longer to do everything by hand than with some of the other methods available that also achieve

excellent results. But the majority are my artistic outlet so how long it takes isn't such an issue. The pencil popper

is intended to be fished, so the painting while still more than really necessary is more spare.

CompletePopperPaintingKit.png

The painting tool is dipped in the cap to control how much paint is transferred(to avoid drips).

WaterBased.png

Absolutely fantastic Stippled. What kind of action do the Rabid dog bodies have in the water? Do they dive down?

Kirk says the fly has an "erratic action when stripped, it darts around as it dips under the surface and can be kept below by repetitive short strips depending on the cadence you use".

These are the first two I've painted and they were painted in the last month. Haven't had a chance to make one up to fish.

Kirk drills a hole in the top of the back of the fly to add a bit of weight. Do a search in "FORUMS" on the word "Rabid" and there are a few topic

discussions on the fly.

Thanks for taking the time to post the picture and reply to my question.

Anytime! Learning how things are done in our hobby of tying by others is a main reason we visit this site.