Fly Tying
feathers5

Related SMBass Hook Question

i used tiemco on these cuz thats what i had but any brand of hook would have worked. i personally dont think it matters all that much. fish dont know brands

scorpio1_zpsdmsjnydc.jpg

for poppers i use lightning strike or mustad hump shank hooks

500-0.jpg

Same hooks I use for any other pattern I tie ... I go to Walmart and get Eagle Claw hooks.

Sometimes, if I've got mad money, I go to Bass Pro Shop or a local shop and look for hooks on sale.

Got to agree with everybody. I tie SMB stuff on whatever I have laying around. From 3/0 34007's down to maybe a size 12 dry fly hook. Really depends on what I'm tying.

i used tiemco on these cuz thats what i had but any brand of hook would have worked. i personally dont think it matters all that much. fish dont know brands

scorpio1_zpsdmsjnydc.jpg

500-0.jpg

What do you call those flies? I'm always looking for something different for bass.

500-0.jpg

That is the hook I like to tye clousers on. Put the eyes in the kink. It will let it flutter more than jig and you will always have enough room for the head.

I use the eagle claw hooks from walmart also.Never failed me yet and the fish don't care.

Are they labeled Eagle Claw Fly Hooks? I've never seen them at my Walmart.

Mainly, Tiemco, Gamakatsu, Owner and Eagle Claw plus one type of Mustad. Not sure which type of Eagle Claw Mike uses but I mainly use the Aberdeen style crappie hook, I can get them up to size 3/0 on line or in a catalog. Styles aren't fly tying hooks. Straight shank worm hooks, Spinner bait hooks and trailer hooks and drop shot hooks.

New name to me as they're almost like shad flies, but been fishing a variation of that pattern since the 80's for bass on mid Atlantic rivers. Marabou tail with a couple strands of Krystal Flash, Kreinik braid, estaz figure eighted over mono, bead chain or lead eyes on mostly Orvis 4X streamer hooks in #6,8,10,12's; or back in the 70's with just chenille & ostrich or a marabou tail. Also good in Rocky Mountain warm water ponds & lakes.