Fly Tying
Patriot

Jo-Ann Fabrics Haul

I've been tying a lot of midge larva, pupa and adults for my up coming trip to the San Juan river in Northern New Mexico. But, I ran out of the Larva Lace that I had been using. A look around the web found four(4) packages at one vendor @ $1.85 each plus $5 s/h. I wanted to purchase at least ten packages. No such luck. Another vendor did have ten packages, but s/h was $6.75 (as best I recall).

So this morning I ran down to Jo-Ann Fabrics and discovered (1), that men are allowed in the store and (2), the place is IMHO, a goldmine for fly tiers.

The first image is of the usual Larva Lace package that I have been purchasing @ $1.85 / four(4) feet / package

The second image is the 100-yard spool of 0.05mm stretchy material that is a perfect substitute for Larva Lace. Cost - $19.99. If my math is right - 300 ft / 4 ft = 75 packages. And, 75 packages x $1.85 each = 138.75. Plus s/h. Not bad.

The third image is the rest of my JAF's haul. The multi-colored flat-material - I'm not calling it thread because it is not round, comes in 140 yd and 250 yd spools. Cost - $3.49. The seed beads cost $0.79 for each package. They were on sale, regular price was $3.49. The other thread I want to do some testing with.

The fourth image is of my Midge Pupa 001 prototype. Hook is too large, but will have to do until my TMC200 hooks arrive. The hook used is a TMC2302 #16.

The last image is of another spool of 'larva lace' that is a bit thicker - 0.80 mm. I'm not sure how well this will work for the small flies I tie.

Thought I would pass on this info just in case anyone needs some of these fly tieing goodies.

post-61757-0-64661200-1506883473_thumb.jpg

post-61757-0-67714500-1506883492_thumb.jpg

post-61757-0-73192700-1506883515_thumb.jpg

post-61757-0-31743400-1506883540_thumb.jpg

post-61757-0-53067200-1506884419_thumb.jpg

Good job finding suitable materials at bargain prices. The Sulky stuff is great. Next time you go, look for Kreinik brand materials; similar to Sulky, but much greater variety.

Thanks, Bob H

Patriot, great finds. I spend a lot of time browsing our local A.C. Moore, Michael s, and Tuesday Morning on the prowl for low cost substitute as well. and nice tie

I do have mixed feelings about some of the things I see at craft stores.

The problem I find with some of the bargains is that I will never use all of the material you have to buy. So I am actually spending more money than I would if I just bought a couple packs of the material., which will last me forever. The other thing is that buying small packs allows you for variety of colors, sizes, etc.

Do not look at it purely as quantity per dollar, unless you know you are going to use it all.

@BobHRAH

@Noahguide

Thanks for your comments.

Here is what I have discovered using this new 'larva lace'.

1 It is not as stretchy as the expensive stuff;

2 It is a tubing as opposed to the LL, which I think may be flat or else the stretchiness makes it appear so.

However, IMHO, I think the results are nearly identical. The attached fly (image) may actually be 'fatter' than the first fly image I attached. I have not compared them.

The thin wire hooks - such as the TMC2302 that I am tying on do take a beating when I stretch the JAF tubing. If this were done in a cool environment, this may become an issue.

The attached image is of one of the ties with this new tubing. One thing that I'm finding as issue, is the the head varnish that I am using. While it is very runny, it does not seem to penetrate. I wipe the tread with it before I whip finish and it just leaves a mess on the head as seen in the image. The 'Modern Midges' author's recommend an adhesive called 'Grif's Thin Head Cement', which I have never heard of. I think I will order a bottle and see if this helps.

Thanks again.

post-61757-0-57047600-1506893948_thumb.jpg

Just read (in this forum), that Grif's is no longer making their adhesive. The posting claimed that too many government reg's did them in. I know nothing about Grif's adhesive, but the same post said other's are using Sally Hansen's nail polish.

I fail to understand how the two compare. I want a very thin adhesive, not a thick globby one.

Perhaps just double whip-finishing is the solution, faster and cleaner and, as a bonus, no figgin' govt. intervention.

Just a thought.

I do have mixed feelings about some of the things I see at craft stores.

The problem I find with some of the bargains is that I will never use all of the material you have to buy. So I am actually spending more money than I would if I just bought a couple packs of the material., which will last me forever. The other thing is that buying small packs allows you for variety of colors, sizes, etc.

Do not look at it purely as quantity per dollar, unless you know you are going to use it all.

You make some excellent points, but what really chaps my butt is having to pay $5 - $6.75 for something(s) that probably weigh less than an ounce. A single postage stamp on an envelope will get the stuff to me just as well. There may be something that I'm overlooking, but for the moment that's how I see it.

Today when I was showing my wife all the great stuff I bought a Jo-Ann's, she asked, "Are you going to be able to use ALL of those seed beads?". Well, ah, well, ... sure ... maybe. Man, a guy just can't win. Ha, ha!

Life is still good.

Why not use Super glue? I do a lot of tiny flies and even under size 26 parachute flies I whip finish to the very 1/4 inch or so of pulling the knot tight. Then just before the thread off the loop on the Matarelli I dab that small section with CA. Then pull the knot tight as you slip the thread off the loop. CA is what I'm using now for almost all my head lacquer unless I'm after a shiny full bodied head like a streamer. Then I use UV goo spread on carefully and cooked on (with light).

I hear ya.

The biggest markup, percentage wise, probably is on those smaller items. Someone gets 1000 beads for $50 and eventually someone else buys them $5 for 20.

Not sure who makes the killing, but that is a hell of a markup. Plus shipping.

Why not use Super glue? I do a lot of tiny flies and even under size 26 parachute flies I whip finish to the very 1/4 inch or so of pulling the knot tight. Then just before the thread off the loop on the Matarelli I dab that small section with CA. Then pull the knot tight as you slip the thread off the loop. CA is what I'm using now for almost all my head lacquer unless I'm after a shiny full bodied head like a streamer. Then I use UV goo spread on carefully and cooked on (with light).

Aargh!! I've been meaning to buy some SuperGlue and work with that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Which SG do you recommend because there are a lot of different types of SG?

I suppose if I had each type in front of me I could intelligently pick out the right one, but vendor's do not seem to carry the whole SG family of adhesives. I'll search the web as well before I go out tomorrow.

Thanks for a great idea.

I hear ya.

The biggest markup, percentage wise, probably is on those smaller items. Someone gets 1000 beads for $50 and eventually someone else buys them $5 for 20.

Not sure who makes the killing, but that is a hell of a markup. Plus shipping.

Yeah, if we're not careful we'll be tossing $5 flies at the fish. Ha!

Here's another midge pupa. The wings need much improvement, but I'm getting there. No glue used this time and the head doesn't look near as messy as when I use varnish.

So far, I'm liking this JAF's clear tubing.

Thanks!

post-61757-0-81877900-1506900424_thumb.jpg