Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
josephcsylvia

The "JOY" of home ownership!

I needed to vent for a min, as I sit here writing this there is a guy in my bathroom and bedroom ripping drywall off! I woke up this am to find my closet floor soaking wet, trace it back to my bathroom and see some curling wallpaper under the vanity. Pull that back and reveal 3' high of mold! solid, the whole wall and behind the built in tub. Now it not a little bathroom either about 175 sq and half of the drywall and vanity has to go. Insurance company is giving me a run around about adjusters. So now for the next few days I will have contractors in and out and hopefully the insurance company will not give me hard time about paying. I was supposed to be fishing today!

So anybody else have any fun home owner stories recently?

DSCF7060.jpg

DSCF7061.jpg

Good luck on insurace coverage... Mould not worry here, it is frozen solid following a week of temperatures around -10 to -20 below.. however, the wind destroyed the gate -to my boatyard- on our cedar fence, so when thawing occurs I have some carpentry work on the projects list. For now, just trying to keep warm and tie up flies for the swaps

I really hate being the bearer of bad news but generally insurance companies are not responsible for damage caused by slow leaks, humidity and poor ventilation. They generally are responsible for sudden burst pipes.

Unless you purchased a great policy with added protections your insurance company is not responsible to fix damage caused by a lack of maintenance. READ YOUR POLICY before contacting adjusters.

its a block home, unlike northern construction, they found the leak the outside faucet line broke inside the block, which seeps through the concrete. they have to break the concrete to get through the block, looks like its all covered in my insurance except the actual piece of pipe itself. I pay for the part. Now they have to pull the tub out because the water has saturated the drywall behind it!

Hope you do get lucky with insurance.

I did not.

This summer, while we were away, a section of our kitchen tiles buckled and tented. Some broke. The whole floor needs to be replaced, you know, these Florida open floor plans....

Insurance, of course, wanted none of it arguing that there was no evident water damage to blame it on, so it must have been faulty tile or installation. On a 15+ year old house.

I still am so pissed about it that I am going to stop right here.

Hey when they replace the drywall behind the tub make the contractor paint it with Red Guard or a similar product. Red Guard is a paint on vapor barrier that will keep any moisture out, even if you do a tile surround on the tub have them paint red guard over the hardy backer, than tile over that.

thank you guys, The water damage is pretty evident and the main contractor is a good friend so him and the dry out company are going to be here when the adjuster comes, It ended up being uite wide spread. Ill post current pics in a few min, They are coming tomorrow to open the block

Good home owner's policies are a must. Make sure you're getting a full coverage policy. Sounds like yours, Joseph, is a good one.

Sister had a similar problem ... by the time the leak was noticeable, it'd taken out most of the bathroom and adjoining dining room wall, the dining room carpet and one piece of antique furniture. Insurance covered it all. TAKE PLENTY OF PICTURES !!! If they argue the claim, the pictures will help.

Sorry you're suffering through this, my friend. But think of the beautiful, new bathroom you're getting !!!

I've had three drain elbows that weren't glued and leaked. Three separated drains. Let that sink in for a moment.

My house wasn't wrapped when it was built 20 years ago. Had a flashing leak get behind the siding, that was a bathroom exterior wall and a complete replace/remodel. I just did it all, never thought about insurance until way far into the demo.

I also have a 70 year old log cabin, I've had every kind of structural or utility issue known to mankind. Replacing a 35-40 year-old sand point in October was my newest experience.

Yea, the mold guy said its a forced remodel, lol. We were going to do it eventually but today is the day. There going to replace the drywall, paint, replace carpet in bedroom as its continuous with closet, replace garden tub with tile walk in shower. And upgrade vanity, my contractor is a friend and hes going to eat my deductible out of some of his labor. Time for a glass of Bulleit :)

Yea, the mold guy said its a forced remodel, lol. We were going to do it eventually but today is the day. There going to replace the drywall, paint, replace carpet in bedroom as its continuous with closet, replace garden tub with tile walk in shower. And upgrade vanity, my contractor is a friend and hes going to eat my deductible out of some of his labor. Time for a glass of Bulleit :)

Bulleit indeed.

We had an upstairs clothes washer continue to fill one time. Water poured out continuously into the attached bathroom and into the floor vent. I was home upstairs but it didn't sound strange, just like laundry stuff. Went into the bath, to see about 1/2 inch of water on the floor and everything draining into the vent. Turned off the washer, ran downstairs to ceilings bowing, water pouring out of all the light fixtures, enclosed duct work etc. I immediately grabbed a rake handle and started punching holes in the ceiling to let water drain out and then ran to the store for a dirt devil and spend 3-4 hours sucking up water. Ruined the dry wall and ceilings in a laundry room, a bathroom, 2 bedrooms, part of a hardwood floor and furnace room. Insurance covered it, paid for the dirt devil and gave me $400 for my "emergency time" of sucking up the water.

Might want to use greenboard behind & above any new bathroom fixtures after a thourough bleaching. The copper pipes used in most of the areas homes built in the late 70's, 80's & 90's were developing leaks & nearly everyone had to have Pex pipe installed with all the cooper pulled from behind the drywall & wet 2 X 4's. Currently having developers building at higher elevations & county inspectors signing off on creating Florida swampland in the middle of a residential neighborhood; saying everyone that lives in Florida wants waterfront property, from never before encountered drainage is headed towards making a backyard sinkhole from yet another house across the street from the latest improperly landscaped property.