Fly Tying
barrytheguide

Darbee capes wanted

I doubt if I will be successful but I would love to be able to purchase some original Darbee capes dating maybe back to the eighties. I would love to find a light and dark dun but any would do and in any condition even if there are only a few feathers left. Why do I want them when Modern Whiting capes and saddles are so good? Because they have some unique characteristics for soft hackle flies that modern hackles dont. So on the off chance you have one please pm me to get the ball rolling.

Thanks and Happy Christmas

Bazzer

The often discussed Feather Emporium lists the modern version but of course these are the great great grand children twice removed. I seem to recall that Del Mazza had some of the birds when he was tying. Brain is foggy. I'm trying to remember where I saw them. Good luck in your search.

Here's one that I have. It's a Darbee bronze dun. I have no idea what you would want it for as far as soft hackles go since it's more suited for dry flies. If you're looking for about the same type of barb stiffness or count, I would go with indian rooster capes. They're way easier to find, come in a huge range of natural colors, and best of all are not that expensive. The Darbee capes that FE has are along the same lines as Collins since I have some of those also smile.png .

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-23041300-1513270504_thumb.jpg

I believe Charlie Collins has decendents from Harry Darbee's chickens. If you are looking for tying materials to use - contact Charlie, otherwise, try to find estate sales from older fly tyers.

Thanks for the replies. Th problem is that all the descendants of the original are much improved. Much longer and more dense feathers. I want the old cock capes for soft hackle flies that Ive come up with!

Thanks

Bazzer

I believe Charlie Collins has decendents from Harry Darbee's chickens. If you are looking for tying materials to use - contact Charlie, otherwise, try to find estate sales from older fly tyers.

Thanks, I’ve emailed them.

Bazzer69

Ex Barrytheguide!