Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Try Kreinik Silk or Stick with Beaver & Superfine?

Anyone prefer Kreinik Silk dubbing to Superfine or dyed beaver for dries 18 or 20 and smaller?

I haven't tried the silk dubbing. Like Beaver. Limited experience with it, though. Don't like superfine. I don't tie that small.

I have always preferred natural over synthetic, I use muskrat mostly and used to use mole for the smaller than 20s. Been a few years since I even bothered with the tiny stuff, 22s, 24s were for still water used back east, smaller than 24 I didn't even like there. I have beaver, but never used it much for whatever reason.

I LOVE the Kreinik as it just grabs the thread and make tying simple. It really packs tight and floats well.

On the opposite spectrum I use a ton of it when making a nymph thorax - I add a fine noodle of silk dubbing then add Ice Dubbing - it locks in the coarse material really well. I like to add three colors of the Ice Dub to mimic the natural and with the grip of the silks the material can be lashed down and then picked out to add realism.

Lastly I will use the same technique when I make my soft hackle bodies - it makes a fantastic body and the fish approve as it is my go to presentation. I tie soft hackles from size 14 to 20 using the silk material.

While I like the other mentioned materials Kreinik gets the most use when I tie.

Take care,

Shmang

Thanks shmang, Kreinik says the white takes a permanent marker well, but I've not generally found permanent markers to be very permanent when I wet them and rub my finger over other materials (feathers, thread, etc) unless coated with varnish or uv glue... I know silk takes dyes well, but should I buy white and color with markers?

Any idea where to buy this Kreinik stuff easily. Went to website and they make you pick a store outlet. Picked one and couldn't get registered. I always like to try stuff, especially if it works on the little ones I like to tie for fun but want a nice simple outlet to order from.

Hey Chug -- No clue on whether it takes dyes -- I have always used the colors as they are. I use the Olive, Cinnamon, Black and Grey straight without any additional markings.

Vic- I went to their Website and was able to select add to cart for the silk dubbing -- http://www.kreinik.com/shops/Silk-Dubbing.html - $2.25 for a pack that will last a long while. No need to go to other sites.

All - I like the black and cinnamon for ant patterns - both dry and covered with UV Resin or Epoxy to make it sink. My 11 year old popped a great 15 inch Brook Trout on a size 16 Epoxy Ant this summer -- hanging out under a tree in the shadows. His foam beetle was the dry and we tailed the tiny ant off the hook bend. On the first drift it took that ant like a hobo on a hot ham and cheese sandwich! We fish it for bluegills, and we have hooked some nice carp on it too. I swear he has two dozen in "his" box he loves that pattern for sure.

The grey makes a good Adams, and the olive is good for BWO flies. The yellows look good for Sulfurs and Yellow Sally flies but I never got a pack of that. All of their silk makes a neat midge body - I rib mine with fine copper wire but a dear friend omits the ribbing and does well in both freestone and tail-water situations. He likes his super small like 22-26 and other than plain thread nothing else will tie that tiny.

I once took a Terrestrial fly tying class with Harrison Steeves -- great guy, ace fly tyer, funny man, and a super story teller, and and he had a bunch of Kreinik products - I have used and recommend the 1/16 and 1/8 braid, tube of flash, and micro ice chenille.

You will love their silk dubbing - versatile, easy to use, economical, and catchy. Take care

I use Superfine dubbing for my dries. I've never tried Kreinik silk dubbing. I'd like to try silk but I have so many dubbings including camel fur!

Superfine dubbing is made of antron and has a lower specific gravity by just a bit - 1.12 to 1.25 for silk. Not enough to make much of a difference in floatability.

Hey Silver -- Camel dubbing -- Do you tie a "Hump Day Caddis" with it? LOL

I checked online and I see it is a thing - looks like it ties super small and comes in a good range of colors.

I learn something new every day.....

Hey Silver -- Camel dubbing -- Do you tie a "Hump Day Caddis" with it? LOL

I checked online and I see it is a thing - looks like it ties super small and comes in a good range of colors.

I learn something new every day.....

Pretty soon they will be selling dubbing from ONE (dromedary) hump camels vs dubbing from TWO (Bactrian) hump camels.

When I saw Camel Dubbing, my thought was what person, who knew enough about a desert animal where there is little water, knew enough about camels to think of using it for dubbing for fly fishing?