Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Best Knot for Leader to Line Connection

Hey guys, I am having trouble finding the strongest knot that wont slip to connect my leader to line. The nail knot seems pretty strong, but I dont want to spend anotherr $10 and depend on some tool. So please give us your feedback... Thanks!

Does your fly line have a loop in the end? That would require a different knot like an Albright special.

Keep in mind, I don't do leader/tippet very often. Here's my video of how I attach mono to the fly line.

I start with about 10 feet of mono. After tying new flies on a dozen times or so, (or I get an air knot) the line gets too short and I put a new piece on.

When I do use a heavy leader, this is the video I learned from ... how I tie the fly line so I can do loop to loop with a leader.

Then I can change the leaders when they start looking a little worn.

I tied on a leader, but then it came off after I used it too much

Now I'm really confused. Did you simply use up your leader? If you don't have a loop in you fly line then put one in it. Then simply buy or construct leaders with a loop in the end. I prefer loop to loop because I hate nipping away the very expensive fly line. As you use up your leader simply add tippet to your leader with a double surgeon knot.

Yeah I fished for peacocks with a 3 ft leader ... No wonder I didn't have a follow! So I just snipped the remainder and tied on a new peice of 20ln fluoro.

Keep in mind, I don't do leader/tippet very often. Here's my video of how I attach mono to the fly line.

I start with about 10 feet of mono. After tying new flies on a dozen times or so, (or I get an air knot) the line gets too short and I put a new piece on.

When I do use a heavy leader, this is the video I learned from ... how I tie the fly line so I can do loop to loop with a leader.

Then I can change the leaders when they start looking a little worn.

Nice Video Mike ....I've seen something like that before ...but my memory fails me as to where lol

Hey guys, I am having trouble finding the strongest knot that wont slip to connect my leader to line. The nail knot seems pretty strong, but I dont want to spend anotherr $10 and depend on some tool. So please give us your feedback... Thanks!

https://youtu.be/PJyW5-m05ao

This video is one of many ....but you can make your own tool out of an old pen tube fashioned to look a bit like a nail knot tool

Nail knot a short section of heavy butt mono to the end of the fly line. Put a perfection loop in the end of the short section of mono you just tied to your fly line. Now you have a handshake loop to loop with the perfection loop on your leader.

or if you dont like loops (some folks dont). add some tippet material to the end and you dont eat up the leader changing flies

LEADER%202_zpswkvut3pb.jpg