Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Finishing balsa poppers

What do you popper makers use as a final coat on your balsa poppers. You've shaped it, painted it, added your eyes, then you... Previously i have given them a coat of epoxy, which worked good and made the poppers bullet proof. Im just worried that epoxy might also be adding alot of unnecessary weight, especially for smaller pan fish poppers. Is this all that you do, or is there another type of finishing clear coat that works good as well? Something that makes them strong, wont allow the balsa to be shredded by teeth, and ads a nice shine.

Thanks

I'm not sure I see how the extra weight on a popper head could affect the panfish... after all, it's floating in the water. I used to use the paint in little jars we used on airplane models. These days my foam heads are already finished. I'm sure epoxy would be much preferable, especially for balsa (I used cork). The weight might make a difference in casting, and loading the rod but I wouldn't think it would be significant. One way to find out is to try it.

I'm not sure I see how the extra weight on a popper head could affect the panfish...

Not that it effects the fish. Some small poppers, such as panfish poppers, have a hard enough floating already due to there size. Im just worried that adding any weight will make this even worse... I doubt it will make that much of a difference. Ive always used epoxy on my balsa popper and haven't really noticed it. Just curious if there was something better to use.

I've seen that problem, Fish. Many of the experimental flies I tie don't float like I want them to. The wrong paint, especially thick application paints or epoxies, can sink a small popper body.

I've usually lost my flies before I ever had to worry about the finish. Fingernail polish has a very good color selection and shine, and it makes a good seal against water soaking in.

If you're tying display flies, you might need something special. If you're tying fishing flies, go with simple. Fingernail polish or modelers paints (as per Flafly) will work just fine.

are you also worried about the weight of the paint?

have you weighed any before and after coating them?

the epoxy you are currently using is just fine. just apply it in a very light and thin coat

i use uv resins to coat my painted poppers

I dont think i should be to concerned with paint weight. Since im using an airbrush to paint them, they are getting a very light coat of paint.

I dont think i should be to concerned with paint weight. Since im using an airbrush to paint them, they are getting a very light coat of paint.

I'm surprised that your poppers have trouble floating. I've never had one that didn't float high. Like I say, I've always used either cork or foam heads.. never balsa. Maybe balsa doesn't float as well. A little comparison testing in a tank might answer that. Also for panfish, a thin wire hook should suffice. Heavy hooks might at least make them tail heavy in the water.

I buy Betts panfish poppers, the small ones don't float high, the large one floats beautiful. The small ones are usable enough for sunfish/Gills. I actually buy the three popper set mostly to get the one big chartreuse with yellow popper. The large chartreuse one has a black hackle on it, white rubber legs, twin trails of feathers and has caught more small mouth bass than panfish for me. And some nice ones too. Anyway, they are wood of some sort and they are coated thick with what looks like enamel paint to me.

I'm a Sally Hansen Hard as Nails fan for finishing. Did you guys know that there is Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Color ? And it's Tolunol or Tolulene free ( forget which but that usually is what eats foam if it's present) . Wondering if that will eat foam popper bodies or not. I know it's fine on wood and on cork as well. I believe she also has a filler coat .

I own an airbrush, currently no compressor though ( I need to get one) ! But many paints can be put on in such thin fast drying coats with an airbrush that even plastic or foam that might get eaten otherwise, doesn't. Great tool but maybe overkill for poppers if you don't already own one. I've had this for I guess 40 years now, I never had an airbrush compressor but a garage compressor with regulators, automotive paint guns etc. Not anymore, all that is left of that is the air brush..

Is superglue permanent on popper heads? I have gotten it on my fingertips and after a day or so it just peels off.

Is superglue permanent on popper heads? I have gotten it on my fingertips and after a day or so it just peels off.

Im not sure about super glue as a finish because ive never used it, but I'd put money on the reason you can get it off your fingers is skin oils.