Fly Tying

hello all.

im looking for some ideas on bass streamers to fish for the summer seeing how the trout fishing has dried up until fall. im not entirely new, been tying for a couple years now, mostly for trout. i have just never played around with bass flies outside of the occasional popper. i live in ny about a five muinute walk to lake ontario, with the oswego river just outside my apartment door (which is where i plan on swinging a few flies this summer). any idea or picture will be great. thanks aheaqd of time

joshua

Buggers

Clousers

Gurglers or a sneaky Pete

You could get more complicated from there, but that's the starting lineup.

Add a crawdad and a Murdich Minnow if you're feeling crazy.

There's probably dozens of options.

Dahlberg Divers.

But don't stray too far from the poppers. Dead of summer top water bites ... who can complain about that?

A simple killer that is fun to fish as bass tend to chase and slam it. And it is a 10 minute fly made with readily available fixings!

Tie in long reversed sparse flashabou at mid point on a large Gamaktsu B210 then add 2 pair of long webby hackles splayed in a V and a collar of 3 wound hackle at the eye to push water.

Colors? Try them all. All orange with gold flash; white wings and red hackle with silver flash; and all black hackle with purple or chartreuse flash work for me. Add eyes and a rattle if you want ... I never found the need. I do use a mono weed guard sometimes.

Fish it unweighted on a floating line around and over weedbeds AM and PM. ( You can use light tackle like 5-7 wts as it casts easily. You'll need heavier gear to lift them out of deep weeds if there.) During the day use sinking line around deeper structure and exploring points and sharp contour line bunches, Use a fast twitch/ slack line strip/pause retrieve. Pike and Pickerel will snip it off w/o a byte leader.

Its a no-namer as far as I know. Call it "Guide's DeLite" (The cna't spell either!)

Rocco

Poppers are great, of you feel up to a swap join in on the Bass creations you'll get some good ideas and nice flys it's not due till the 24th

I don't know if anyone has seen the video for the complex twist bugger by curtis fry on YouTube, but I think I may have a good little "twist" to it. Instead of a bead/ cone head I was thinking about adding a sculpin fish skull and fish it as a sculpin. Good idea? I don't know but it will soon be tried out as soon as I hit the tackle store. Haha