Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

squirmy wormy.....

...is one thing and mop flies are another but now comes along "spermy wormy"

10906546_10152548581791022_8968375728491

SpermWormMaterial.jpg

:) :)

A variation is to take the slim part and hook it thru the center and use it a s a "Wacky Worm".

Don' have pictures of it.

Rick

I bet those are effective, but kinda walking the edge (or perhaps blew right by the edge) of what I'd call fly tying. Here in Oregon molded plastics that imitates eggs and worms are considered bait and are illegal in many of the waters I fish. So I guess it doesn't matter what I think, I couldn't fish 'em even if I wanted to.

Like a San Juan worm. Not for the purist, the squirmy wormy, but very effective. If you like catching fish, they could be a fall-back when nothing else is working. No pride in tying it, and fishing it, but it will put a bend in your rod. Y2K is in the same boat.

Guest rich mc

they make wedgies for ice fishing and other tailed plastics for crappie anglers . most likely at least 50% off the cost of a new fly fishing item rich

I can see them working. They should be deadly on pan fish. All black would look like tadpoles or small leeches. Be nice if you could find some with silver flakes in them, newly hatched minnows. I've got some squirmy wormies, rather than tying them on the hooks I just threaded them on the hooks like I would a red wiggler with a dab of super glue to hold them in place. I took them to the Poconos with me but didn't use them, probably would have cleaned up on the rockbass and sunfish, even though I caught a bunch on the mop flies and the mini mop flies I brought with me. Maybe I should take a trip to Cabela's and see if they have them.

Super Glue will make the application spot brittle and cause them to break off. They're deadly on trout as well as panfish, which I've never used them for.

Guest Tony P

I'm all for everyone doing things their own way but how is this fly tying?

I'm all for everyone doing things their own way but how is this fly tying?

Not far from using molded or precut crawdad bodies, minnow tails, fish skulls, pom poms, or any other of a dozen prefab'd commercial materials.

Until someone writes the law on tying flies, innovation will continue.