Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eide

Hairwing Mickey Finn

Great fly, the seatrout will love it :)
Just like your Big Hole Demon and the Bloody Butcher (my favourite fly).

Great fly, the seatrout will love it smile.png

Just like your Big Hole Demon and the Bloody Butcher (my favourite fly).

Thanks! This is a timeless classic that should be in every box!

Very nice! Not a fly I tie a lot these days, but agree with you. I do keep a few in my boxes. Even occasionally tie some on saltwater hooks for Seatrout (Weakfish) & Stripers.

Eide, did you use deer tail hair for those? It's looks fine textured, something I look for in deer tails. Not always easy to find either.

That's a great looking fly!

As a non fly comment, I've noticed your setup of putting one fly hook in the other for the picture and think it's cool. Adds flair to the picture.. :)

It does look like craft fur Fisherboy, but I have seen Eide post a lot of flies with artic fox and similar furs so I was wondering if it was something like that. Definitely doesn't look like deer hair to me.

The material used for the wing is temple dog. As Troutbum said: I use a lot of this for larger hairwing flies on tube or single hook for salmon. Temple dog/Fox makes for a very smooth flowing material in water.

@tidewaterfly: this is tied for seatrout - the TMC777SP is a great hook

Eide, thanks for clarifying the material! I like tying with fox as well. I've used that hook too for tying Smallmouth bass streamers. Daiichi has a similar hook, model # 2141 but the finish is the japanned black, not black nickel and it has a looped eye. Both are darn fine hooks!

The "Seatrout" I've fished for are cynoscion nebulosus or cynoscion regalis, not a true trout as you're after! The first are found along the southern Atlantic coast of the US & in the Gulf of Mexico. The later is found from Nova Scotia to Northern Florida.

You could do well with them using many of the flies you've posted for your sea run trout should you get the opportunity! smile.png

Here's a pic from Wikipedia. Spotted Weakfish

1280px-Spotted_seatrout_fish_cynoscion_n

Weakfish or Gray Trout.

Pic is from the MD DNR website.

weakfish.gif

WOW, How did you manage to get such a neat red stripe!

Layered it up: first yellow, then red and finally another layer of yellow. Picking out the right (small enough) amount and tying it in is key

Very nice. Mickey has always been a favorite of mine. When living up in northern MN for years the Mickey Finn and the Royal Coachman Streamer were my goto flies for the native brookies. I always thought of the brookie, especially in waters not highly pressured like I had, to be like young high school girls. If it was flashy and looks expensive they'd grab it. Didn't matter if it looked natural, just gaudy. When I fished some water that had little tiny 1' pocket water behind rocks I'd often tie on a small Swedish Pimple of ice fishing fame. I'd just dab that in those pocket with the long rod and catch any brookie that was in there. Before yee judge, this was 40 years ago and I was just getting away from worms and spawn bags and a few of those brookies always made it to the batter and the pan. LOL