Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
burninbriar

New tying table

I'm pretty new to tying flys so I hope this does'nt sound to stupid.

I am building a new table to tie on and could use some advice. A comfortable position for me seems to be with the vice jaw at about the hight of the top of my shirt pocket. My vice is a base mount with the jaw about 8" from the table top. Right now to get the comfortable position on a standard 30" table I have to sit on a phone book and to do away with the phone book I would need my table at about 24" witch seems kind of low. Then of coarse there's always the option of buying a bar stool but I'm afreid with my disabillity I may not last long on a bar stool.

What I would like to know is , is the top of my shirt pocket a good hight to shoot for? (I've heard some like it much lower )

If any one uses a bar stool , does it get excessively tireing ?

I have noticed that some commercially available tables have a center drawer but I am afreid that it would hit my legs with the table so close to them to get the right hight at the vice ( if the hight I chose is right ).Any thoughts ?

Any other tips I might be overlooking would also be apreciated.

I realize that whats comfortable for one person might not be for another but some input from those of you who have been doing it for a while would be helpfull. I will also probably use the table for working on my pipes, I'm a collecter incase anyone is woundering about my screen name.

Thanks , Pete

Ps This will be built into the wall

Just as you said its a matter of personaly preference. With that said though, I personally tie with my jaws about the same height on me, shirt pocket or center of upper chest.

Really without lowering the table then I think and adjustable height chair is about the best option for you.

And welcome to FTF

SD

Would it be possible to cut some of the stem off of your vise to bring it down a little lower?

:dunno:

There are some very nice office type chairs that are adjustable over a whole range of heights. I never noticed where my vise is in relation to my chest, my chair is adjustable and I just keep messing with it until it "feels right". I bought my chair in Sam's Club for under $100 but you may be able to pick one up cheaper at a used furniture store.

Would it be possible to cut some of the stem off of your vise to bring it down a little lower?

:dunno:

eeeeeeeeh...dont really know how much I would suggest that Will. In theroy that would work, but then if you do that you are makeing the amount of room from the jaws to the table top smaller which might make wrapping materials, bobin, whip finishing, etc.. a tad harder to do without hitting the table :dunno:

I am leaning toward a standard 30" hight on the table and looking for an adjustable chair. Some other tips I have gotten that I like is to keep it a light color and put a ridge around the out side to keep things from rolling off. I'm looking forward to getting the top done, the shelves and drawrs can weight awhile.

Also be sure to look through the"timely tips" section of the site. I know we have had a few good discussions on how to make tying benches with gadgets and such incorporated into them, you might find something you like and want to put into your desk in there.

I like my vise lower I find my back hurts if I hold my arms up to tie. A bit higher than my belly button I guess. I feels natural to me

Hi Pete,

You asked about a bar stool for tying. I use a high directors chair with a tall table to demonstrate at fly fishing/outdoor shows. I can tell you first hand, it is a good way to cripple yourself. I'm with several of the other people who responded to your message, an adjustable office type chair is the best way to go. I like my tying table top to be 29-30" from the floor. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Thought I would post some progress on tying area. The first picture is where I ty now . :hyst:

The second two are my new table I'm buildind. It is 30" from the ground , 4' wide , 19" deep on the left and 24" deep on the right. The left wall have magazine racks 8" off the table to the ceiling and about 4"-6"wide. The back wall will have a set of drawers 8" off the table and 6" high to store a lot of small stuff. I think I'll put one shelf above that and run peg board up to the ceiling. I will probably have a pin board on the side of the magazine rack. I'll post more photos as I go and if any one has a sugjestion please feel free to tell me. I got the peg board idea from this site. Really excited about getting it done so I can get all this fly tying stuff off my key board. :rolleyes:

post-3474-1129864915_thumb.jpgpost-3474-1129864948_thumb.jpgpost-3474-1129864996_thumb.jpg

Nice set-up, you may want to consider storage too. I have a whole room and it is filling up rapidly with materials storage. :)

I used a piece of formica counter top we had left over when we remodeled our kitchen. I hung this on a wall with four heavy brackets from HD. I put a nice 12" shelf above and placed an office lamp up there for added light. I then built a 2 foot square tying bench that is clamped onto the formica. I made this out of a square piece of white pine that I bought in Lowes. I added an elevated ledge on each side of the tying bench (glued on) and on the back with enough room on the left side to attach my vise (it is a clamp type). The ledge in the back, I drilled holes and put in some dowels for thread. On the right ledge I drilled some 5/8" holes for my tools.

I left the pine a natural light color because then I can see things better. I use an old dining room chair to sit on but I would like to get a more comfortable one. You can get used office chairs from used office equipment places. Find one that adjusts up or down so that you can be comfortable. I'm going to do this next since the chair is killing my back.