Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dflanagan

Anglers roost bamboo rod kit

I'm wanting to build a 2/3 weight rod for panfish and some small trout streams. Kind of wondering if anyone has experience with the angler's roost bamboo kits. Action, appearance, durability, etc. is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any info,

David

While I can't speak for the bamboo rods I own an 8 wt Steve built for me, and a 9'10 4 wt on their graphite blanks, and while I don't have experience with any high end rods both of them are more than satisfactory in my opinion.

I would say I wasn't super happy with the cheaper reel seats I got from them my I ordered two of them one fell apart before it even got to me and had to be epoxy-ed back together.

My brother also built on one of their 8 ft 4/5 blanks and has been happy with it.

Thanks, Vicente. I was leery of the hardware. The total kit price is just a few dollars more than the price of their lower priced blanks alone. I may just keep looking and see what else I can throw together.

I got my guides from them as well and they have held up satisfactorily.

I have two old bamboo that will hit trading floor in next week or two, wall hangers now, but these have been and need to be fished. They are nice but will be affordably priced with special FTF discounts

Disregard please, sorry dflanagan. I should not have interjected. At first, thought you wanted a bamboo to fish, now I see your interest is building.

If you are straight out wanting a rod to perform optimum casting, you will not need bamboo. My bamboos cast good but you will never beat casting a high- grade graphite rod like Steel can build for most fishing usage. My two cents

I use Johnny's (Owner of Angler Roost) blanks a pretty good deal from time to time. Mostly graphite and glass. I haven't used any of his cane blanks yet. From what I have seen though I do not think his can blanks are feruled. So keep that in mind. You would need to purchase a set of ferules and then lap/install them yourself. And a decent set of ferules will run ya about $45-$55 so factor that into the build as well.

Thanks, Steve. Good call. I checked the page for the kit and it does come with ferrules. That's another thing that makes me think I should steer clear of the kit. Good price but I don't imagine the components are all that great. Might just have to piece something together myself.

One thing you should also check is if the blanks have been turned with a lathe to accept the ferrules. Gluing the ferrules on straight is tough enough, but turning the blanks to accept the ferrules can be intimidating, and you need a lathe and some good files, calipers, and lots of patience. If the blanks are pre ferruled you should be OK, and it will be pretty much like building a fiberglass or graphite rod. Rod jewlery can of course be upgraded. For finish you can hand rub oil as opposed to dipping in varnish. The action of most bamboo rods is slow.

Thanks, Meeshka. Sounds like more of a project than I really want to get into now. Looking at some other options that should better for now.

David, I've been into bamboo for some time now and built up some blanks but always got them ferruled. I won't disparage Angler's Roost but will say there are some American builders who do excellent plus work and do not cost much more than AR. One of the bamboo boards I'm on seems to be having blanks for sale on a regular basis in Classified and some builders are often throwing specials. Just from my own experience I'd go with a builder you can talk to, work with and get his recommendations for the type of rod you want and where you'll fish it. Some can supply you with hardware though I don't know of any that actually offer a kit.

PM me if you're serious and I'll see if I can't help you out. I have about a dozen bamboo rods right now going back to about 1930 and as new as a few months.

" I have about a dozen bamboo rods right now going back to about 1930 and as new as a few months."

There is something almost Zen like in organic rods like this... Just sayin' make me One with Everything :0

Thanks for the info and offer, Nick. I'll keep it in mind as I go along.

There is something almost Zen like in organic rods like this... Just sayin' make me One with Everything :0

I agree. Now, I've never used a bamboo fly rod but I've fished with cane poles and willow branches. I love shooting wood bows and have even made a few out of bamboo. Metal and plastic just don't have the same feel and action as natural materials.

Thanks for the info and offer, Nick. I'll keep it in mind as I go along.

I agree. Now, I've never used a bamboo fly rod but I've fished with cane poles and willow branches. I love shooting wood bows and have even made a few out of bamboo. Metal and plastic just don't have the same feel and action as natural materials.

You are in for a treat, nothing better for dry fly action. Not super long- distance caster in my hands but still fling out there where it needs to go most of time....

I have built twelve various bamboo rods from Angler's Roost. I only had one bad blank and he accepted it back and replaced it no questions. I started with the kit. I replaced the reel seat after about a year. It worked ok, I didn't like how it looked. Ferrules are $33 for nickel silver. You can get chrome plated brass for $4. Nicole silver ferrules need to be sanded to fit. The quality is as good or better than others I have tried. The male ferrule has to be sanded down to achieve proper fit to the female. The agate guides are good quality. Building a bamboo rod requires finding the spline, sanding the ferrules, sanding and fitting the ferrules to the rod and wrapping. It is more of a challenge than wrapping a graphite blank. I use two sizes smaller diameter silk thread to wrap. When I wrap a graphite after doing a bamboo it feels like I'm using rope to wrap the rod. I like the Payne tapers.