Fly Tying
EzGoing

Dyna-King Professional vs HMH Standard Vise

EzGoing, Since I've got a forum name of Rotaryflytyingdotcom you can probably anticipate this question. Why not get a rotary vise? I'm hesitant to even ask this because people sometimes see the question as an attack on their choice of vises. I don't mean it that way at all. I'm truly curious about why someone goes with one style of vise instead of another.

I basically break vises down into three groups, Stationary, Rotary and True Rotary and I long ago made the choice to go True Rotary (think Renzetti, Norvise Dyan-King) and I'm curious about the reasons for person's choices.

I don't have a DK, but I've got the HMH standard and a Spartan, and if I had it to do over, I'd only get the HMH Spartan, which is cheaper and will do anything a Standard will do. The jaws are the same and the hook range is the same. It's a really good vise.

I've got both them and a Renzetti. The non-true rotary vises are fine and good vises, and I enjoy tying on them.

Edited to add: the DK is a push collet, the HMH is a draw collet. If that makes a difference.

I've owned rotaries before [DK Ron Abbey Special, Renzetti Traveller, sold both] but true rotary's just not a priority. I have a J-Vice now but looking for a simple vice such as the HMH or DK Professional...honestly, just because. I'm pretty much set on either one. I owned a HMH years ago and just remember having problems with it slipping at the chasis with even moderate tension. I was wondering if they have improved it at all? Both vises offer a straight arm with adjusting angles which I like more than the true rotary option...I don't care for the DK's with the elbow [barracuda etc]. Though the Jvice has a curved elbow I can get my hand on it and it's comfortable.

Every collet vise I've ever owned will cinch down on a hook, but you have to adjust it properly. HMH is legendary for holding power, and I'll wager the DK will also hold a hook without slipping.

If you're used to a cam lever vise, which is easier to adjust in my experience, you may have some trouble adjusting a collet vise. My Renzetti is easier to adjust and holds like the hook is welded. But once you get the feel for adjusting an HMH, they hold just as well.

I'm not sure if this helps at all and I know you are looking at a different vise. However This is an incredable deal.

Dyna king ultimate indexer fly tying vise - $275 (Bangor maine)

00K0K_j8MlAcf9OgO_600x450.jpg

5904.png5904.png5905.png5905.png
marker-shadow.png
marker-icon.png
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

2013 dyna king ultimate indexer vise for 275.00. Used very little. Brand new it goes for 499.00 comes with the box and warranty card... No trades and price is firm also have a lot fly tying materials as well. I'll send more pic if needed. Text me is the best way to get me 207-97four-886four

Michael

EzGoing I really like the look of the J-vice and I am looking to change my Stonfo as I do not like the indexing on it, too clunky for me.

Can you tell me the pros and cons of the J-vice and which jaws have you got? I would be considering the Pro jaws. Not keen on the smaller jaws aesthetically.

HD

DK Pro vs HMH Std,...hmmm...six of one and 1/2 doz of the other.

I've tied on HMH Std and DK Supreme (IIRC same as the Pro but w/o the notched collet angle adjustment). It's been a while since tying on the DK, but I recall the jaw adjustment feeling a bit more refined on the HMH. I also like the rotary tension collar on the HMH a bit more than the tension screw on the DK. The adjusting cone on the DK makes the nose of the collet feel a bit clunky in comparison to the smoother lines of the HMH but isn't an issue others seem to complain about. As a nod to DK, I think the notched cam is a nice feature. Both are built well and functionally similar enough.

I can't answer regarding the chassis slipping on the upright. My HMH is an older version with two hex bolts to tighten the chassis and is very secure. I believe the complaints about slipping came when the design changed to a single bolt. The HMH site has a forum where you might get more answers to this part of your question.

You stated you're set on either of the above, but the Regal takes simplicity to another level and does the job quite well.

EzGoing I really like the look of the J-vice and I am looking to change my Stonfo as I do not like the indexing on it, too clunky for me.

Can you tell me the pros and cons of the J-vice and which jaws have you got? I would be considering the Pro jaws. Not keen on the smaller jaws aesthetically.

HD

Not EzGoing, but I saw you're question. Thought it worth mentioning that the "pro jaws" have a narrower profile than the "standard jaws."

HD

I have the standard jaws which are narrow but..not the Damascus Pro Jaws...The standard jaws on the earlier Jvice were not as narrow but they've changed. I love the Jvice. I had it made with the 3/8" stem which is the standard size/diameter stem on North American tying vises. With the 3/8" stem I can use any tying base or C-clamp. But, I believe you have to ask for it otherwise you may end up with a narrower stem which won't fit American tying bases or c-clamps. I sent Jay the stainless steel stem from the US. I use the JVice with the PEAK base or c-clamp....I don't care for the wooden bases that come standard with the Jvice and didn't order one. The Jvice is the prettiest vise made and it works as nice as it looks.

---Now, back to the HMH Standard vs the DK Professional...............still undecided and may have to wait to play with them.

Been tying on the HMH standard for 7 years now and I also own a dyna King spartan I think it is. I well as a couple renzettis. The newest vise I have is the HMH and I rarely if ever tie on anything else I love it and it just fits my ting style really well.

Steve

Both good vises. The Dyna-King jaw has notches that really help hold big saltwater hooks, and the HMH vises have smaller (and cheaper as I recall) jaws for smaller flies if that's where you are going. Just depends one which one you are tying. Not sure I agree that a 'true' rotary is really all that necessary, but depends on the patterns you tie. I tend to favor the Barracuda myself, for what it is worth...

I have the DK Pro. I love the vise. It is so stable and it ties really nicely. I did not want a rotary vise because it just seemed like a feature that would be wasted on me. But the Pro if you set it flat does act as a rotary so you still have the option. The reason I chose the pro over the supreme was that the supreme did not have the thumb adjustment for the angle. I would have had to bring out the tools to adjust it. I want a simple, clean, bombproof vise for years of life. I could not be happier with my choice. It is everything I wanted and nothing I did not want.

The DnyaKing vise has smaller jaws than the HMH vises because they're push collet.

I don't know about angle adjustment on DK vises, but on HMH you tighten it down to your satisfaction with a hex wrench. After you set it, there's no further use of the hex wrench needed. You just use your hand to adjust the angle.

Hello folks, I'm a new member, and my first post is a question. While I know what a draw collet is, I don't know what a push collet is, or at least I don't think I know. Would someone please explain?

Regards.