Fly Tying
feathers5

Dubbing Brush Machine

I had an old cheap closed-face reel that I fixed a hook to (wire bent to shape, then attached via the nut that held the spool on). I mounted this to a small board, attached a piece of wood about 10 inches away, a hook in the middle of it. The wire or thread is secured to that hook, run to the reel-hook. Then i used a block under the wire/thread as a support to place the dubbing. Fold the wire/thread back over the dubbing and secure to the hook. Couple of turns to tighten, then remove the support, and finish to your liking. Hand-turning the reel handle produces a very nice brush, though it's often much tighter further from the reel depending on the materials used.

Way cheap version, but I've yet to find another I like better. I've found being in complete control of the speed and "force" of the spin is valuable, especially when using finer or more fragile wire, such as for micro patterns. Often I'll just gently crank it until the wire breaks at the far hook.

use a dubbing loop right on the hook. it does the same thing and its free. comes with every spool of thread. :rolleyes:

One of these days I'll get around to making one of these, but with travel for work and moving just havn't had time.

Fatman