Fly Tying
Adam Saarinen

Stacked deerhair question?

Thinking of making a bass bug as another fly for a tying competition i'm in & the amount of deer belly hair I have in different colours is limited! Can i use bucktail for just making a coloured circle ring? Then would be a belly deerhair spot in the middle! And if so, should I use the hair from the tip of the tail? Or from the base near the butt? And should i use the hair closet to the tips? Or the hair closest to the tail itself? Any help from the deerhair experts that i know are members on this site is very much appreciated! I have no dying experience & not enough time to learn! Happy Thanksgiving! Adam

Forget trying to use Bucktail but if do(and it can be done)use the end closest to the hide...from the options you listed yes you can use markers to color the hair, I do it all the time.

Best bet for that is once you have it all trimmed is to paint the area you want to color with some thinned flex cement/ Liquid fussion or something. Because the hair wont move around on you so much,it will take the color better and you will be more accurate with Staying in the lines

Post your results...

Thank you Mike West! Not sure if it's what you mean? But i just had a look in my room for a blue sharpie, but i think it's in the shed? Will look tomorrow & cut off a piece of white belly hair still on the skin from a patch, comb it well & colour it blue & give it hopefully enough drying time!

Thank you Mike West! Not sure if it's what you mean? But i just had a look in my room for a blue sharpie, but i think it's in the shed? Will look tomorrow & cut off a piece of white belly hair still on the skin from a patch, comb it well & colour it blue & give it hopefully enough drying time!

I believe he meant to just use the white hair and color it once it's trimmed and finished.

If you dont have belly hair, use the hair found on the part of the bucktail that was connected to the body of the animal.

That hair is coarser and flares better, but it is also shorter and not straight, so hopefully your bucktail has a bit that you can use.

Yep thats what I meant

I have some examples of deer hair bugs colored with markers but they are all on Photobucket

If I can transfer them real quick to show you I will.

Edit:

These have been colored with a marker in one way or an other.

AD4_CDE67_F5_D7_417_B_B79_E_A7416_EE590_

6716_B208_A5_A9_455_D_BFA1_366_B2962_F02

C703_A4_D6_6_D24_4512_B917_BFD5_DF511_F3

A5116012_3_B10_40_E6_A1_D5_CC260_B721_D9

I've used permanent markers to color feathers and marabou. No reason it shouldn't work on deer hair. One suggestion if you're going to use a permanent marker, get one with a wide tip. It's a pain in the butt to color a bunch of material using the typical "Sharpie" point. For feathers and marabou, I usually let them dry about a half hour. Nice thing about being retired is I can take a break and do something. Which was tie a white deer hair bug. I used Mike's suggestion though without the flexament to see what the result would be.

post-309-0-57907900-1511559376_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-67275300-1511559444_thumb.jpg

I also tried coloring a bunch of hair. That's still drying. My concern is that the permanent marker won't penetrate the hair so when you trim it, you'll still have white showing. I'd go with Mike's suggestion I think you would get better results.

post-55238-0-66826000-1511636449_thumb.pngpost-55238-0-40510000-1511636481_thumb.pngpost-55238-0-24550500-1511636508_thumb.pngMike West, your flies are kick ass as always! I've decided to go with a gray ring representing all of the granite in Finland, then a light green spot to represent all the forest on top of a white body, tail will be blue metz soft hackle on white polar bear! Comp is on my local forum for Finlands 100 years independents next month, I will post pictures after the comp, rules are rules! Pictures are of the hook I will use & the fly I tied last, maybe 3 months ago? Tried to compensate for the marks always moving but have since learned off YouTube from a Washington tyer how to do it properly! All the best deer hair tyers live in the states! Never see anything like it in Finland, hope I can be good one day!?!

post-55238-0-18839500-1511638030_thumb.png

post-55238-0-12159100-1512932111_thumb.pngpost-55238-0-98483800-1512932246_thumb.pngpost-55238-0-69986800-1512932275_thumb.pngpost-55238-0-34682300-1512932304_thumb.pngpost-55238-0-74303500-1512932329_thumb.pngpost-55238-0-71694900-1512932353_thumb.pngHeres the first bird I tied earlier this year, duckling! The popper I put in the comp, TMC 8089 #12! And the swan on a Partridge Universal predator 4/0 with 55mm & 20mm shanks! The swan got a special mention by the judges, different, interesting, well tied fly with multiple parts! Happy about that! The popper went unnoticed in the peoples vote, I think it's the best popper I've made, colours had to fit the rules, so wouldn't be my choice for bass, but people just aren't interested in bass flies in Finland, probably cos' we have none! But i'll always be very keen on tying these types of flies!

I think popper turned out nicely. I read an old artical by Tim England, now that guy could tie some bugs. He got me hooked on tying with hair, that I fly I posted was one I copied from him, he called it Lizzy's Frog