Fly Tying
JohnWu

Hackle pliers slippage, gd scissors?

Lost my cheap hackle pliers had to get new ones went for the 'non slip' stream works. They r pants, don't hold hackles, everything just slips right out, anyone know a trick to remedy this, like glue something in there? (don't say use your hands, i have sausage fingers and hold small hackles) also its not too much pressure, even just hanging certain hackles they slip off)).

Looking new scissors, need a nice pair that will cut super close, was thinking of going for the dr slick arrow points. anyone recommend these?

I use Griffin Hackle Pliers and they are pretty good for $2.50. I have a pair of the arrow points and they are pretty good.you can get in nice and close but I dont think they are much better than my regular Dr. Slick multipurpose scissors.

One thing that might help is to cover one of the jaws with Micropore tape. That may help. Another of the better things to cover with one jaw with some wet and dry paper.

Scissors are something you can take one of two views on. Get the cheapest that will do the job, and replace them often. Or get a really good pair and hope they last. Dr Slick are rehashed medical scissors. They are at best mid range quality wise. (If they are not medical scissors why do they use the same colour coding on the loops, and why are they identical to those in medical and veterinarian catalogues)? For better quality scissors take a look at Rubis of Switzerland.

Cheers,

C.

I have every type of hackle plier sold and hate them all. I wish I could afford to buy all long hackle and throw it out when it get too short to use by hand.

Anyway, as for scissors, again I have several pairs and just bought another. If I can use them for what I bought them for and not start cutting hair or wire I think it is by far the best set yet. I was in the pharmacy and looking for something when I saw cuticle scissors. I popped for the next to highest price ($10) with a curved tip. Said on back fine tip for quality cuticle work but I've already used them on some #22 mayflies I'm tying and they can go in and snip the runaway hackle sticking out over the eye better than anything I've ever had. They don't just push the short hackle aside like some others do but snip it clean. Very impressed. Now to only use them for such things and not ruin them like I have others cutting anything in sight.

I've always put a short piece of heat shrink tubing (Radio Shack) on ONE jaw of my pliers. I also make the shrink tubing stick out about 1/8" past the end of the jaw. That makes it so the hackle stem doesn't bend too sharply and break. Haven't had any problem since I started doing that 35+ years ago. Also, when you're done winding the hackle, make sure the jaws don't have any remnants stuck to them before you try winding another hackle.

Just a minor point, but how are you mounting the hackle in the pliers?

Most people clasp the hackle stem perpendicular to the jaws.
I clasp the hackle stem inline with the jaws of the pliers and don't have as many problems
with slippage.

Kimo

Great advise Chase Creek, The remnants have been the culprit in several hackle slips for me. Also, I have used a pencil eraser as a cushion. I lost the little rubber thing on a hackle plier once and I squared off one side of a pencil eraser and jammed it onto one side and it worked fine for quite a while.

The Streamworks pliers appear to be a knockoff (whatever the origin or quality) of the old Thompson Duplex pliers with one jaw faced with textured rubber and the other faced with grooved brass. Had a couple of those through the years and was never that happy with them; even when new, the hold wasn't that great, and it lessened as the rubber pad wore. The "fix" for me was to replace them for general use, employing them only when a light hold on fragile material was necessary.

Scissors: I'd look at Anvil Mini/Midge in short or long reach over the Dr Slick Arrows. They're sharper and stay sharp longer, probably due to better steel and a different tempering process. Plus the finger loops are adjustable, they're lighter, and the blade tips don't smash when dropped on tile or concrete. Thompson Supreme were my favorite tying scissors, and the Anvil Ice Tempered scissors are quite similar.

I just did the shrink tubing thing on one of my hackle pliers. Seems to work pretty well but won't totally prevent slippage. Whatever scissors you get be sure to check the screw that holds the two pieces together occasionally; a lot times we think that the blades are dull when the scissors are loose.

Steve

Just a minor point, but how are you mounting the hackle in the pliers?

Most people clasp the hackle stem perpendicular to the jaws.

I clasp the hackle stem inline with the jaws of the pliers and don't have as many problems

with slippage.

Kimo

Inline is how the Tyflyz Toolz Hackle Pliers are supposed to work.

When they are inline, you can put a finger in the loop and spin the pliers aroudn your finger which rotates the hackle around the fly. Hence an inline grip.

T1332.jpg

I have every type of hackle plier sold and hate them all. I wish I could afford to buy all long hackle and throw it out when it get too short to use by hand.

Anyway, as for scissors, again I have several pairs and just bought another. If I can use them for what I bought them for and not start cutting hair or wire I think it is by far the best set yet. I was in the pharmacy and looking for something when I saw cuticle scissors. I popped for the next to highest price ($10) with a curved tip. Said on back fine tip for quality cuticle work but I've already used them on some #22 mayflies I'm tying and they can go in and snip the runaway hackle sticking out over the eye better than anything I've ever had. They don't just push the short hackle aside like some others do but snip it clean. Very impressed. Now to only use them for such things and not ruin them like I have others cutting anything in sight.

I also use cuticle scissors in the form of a pair of nippers.

These are not scissors but they cut almost flush to the hook shank.

For years I couldn't find them anywhere because they are made in Italy.

I got them from a shop where they taught rod building(Alpine Angler)

and would use them to trim guide wraps. I finally found them on

Ebay for a third what I paid for them and Tweezerman will sharpen them

for life for free. If they no longer can be sharpened they will send

you a coupon for half price on a new pair. I drill a hole in the

handle so they can hang from my tool caddy.

You have to be careful with them because they cut so close they

will trim your knot. Please note the jaws. They are convex and not

concave like a pair of typical nail clippers. They also come to a point

so you can get them into real small areas.

10929126_10152630667922003_1644100595995

1517415_10152630667702003_65595987010891

Kimo