Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

2019 Fly Tying Symposium

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:09 PM

Well, I just spent an enjoyable morning watching Last Chance Cripple videos. I'm sure there's a hundred different variations on videos. It was great, now I gotta go back to work.

I personally wish the offending picture had not been removed from this thread. Still, enjoying the thread though.

Hey Norm, I'm not sure if you do requests but I would love to see a Last Chance from you.

#17 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,169 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:23 PM

So far, I've found this to be a fun discussion.  I don't think there was a need to remove the flyer picture for the symposium.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#18 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:00 PM

sorry but i do not have any cdc and i wont make a special order for just one fly

since you watched a bunch of videos, you now can tie them for us to see and critique :)

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

Never argue with a self proclaimed expert

#19 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

sorry but i do not have any cdc and i wont make a special order for just one fly

since you watched a bunch of videos, you now can tie them for us to see and critique smile.png

That just don't seem right, you not having any CDC. I just got a bunch in an estate sale I went to. I'm gunna send you some. No quid quo pro or obligation implied.

I am gunna tie some, but mine will surely look like cripples. Not all pretty like the ones in the videos.

#20 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:18 PM

thanks but no need to send me some cdc

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

#21 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

OK, I was pretty sure you'd say that. Just let me know if you ever need anything. I'm here for you buddy.

#22 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:45 PM

okay thanks

#23 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:22 PM

To follow up on something said earlier, a klink with a glass bead for a thorax and snowshoe hair for a wingpost (and maybe an oversized hackle for better floatation) would make a good combo emerger and cripple, imo. Before it sinks, emerger, after, cripple.
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#24 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

Who was the first to tye thee Last Chance Cripple? I thought it was Mike Mercer
I should have googled this first of course because I would have found out it appears to have been Rene Harrop. There is some debate as to the type of biot he used as the abdomen, I think it could have been condor.

https://www.flytyer....chance-cripple/

http://www.flyfishin...om/quigcrip.htm

Digging even deeper Renes pattern seems to have been a variant of Bob Quiglys cripple pattern. The main difference being Bob used deer hair for the wing but Rene used cdc.

#25 Pyme Fisher

Pyme Fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:01 PM

Many times, in any given genre, an task is accomplished with the purpose of demonstrating ones ability to do it well, instead of it's original intent.

Duck calling and turkey calling contests jump to mind.

Nobody would ever do in a blind what they do on stage.